Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackcurrant Jam

Options
  • 07-08-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to make some blackcurrant jam. I have the currants picked and I have the Siúrca special jam sugar ('sure set' I think its called). I understand that I shoudl have equal portions of currants and sugar eg 1kg currants, 1 kg of sugar.

The problem I have when reading through sites on the net is that some recipes add Water whilst others do not. So for the life of me Im confused as to whether I should add water or not.

Looking on the Siúrca website they do not mention water:

http://www.nordzuckerireland.ie/recipes/recipe-jam.php

but then again, they show a picture of blackcurrants but call them blackberries.

Any advice would be appreciated - should I add water or not?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

HI iba, You don't need water as there should be enough juice in the blackcurrant.

However if you decide not to add water you will have to keep stirring the blackcurrants to ensure they don't catch and burn.

It can be easier to add a small amount of water and boil the jam for longer to let it evaporate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

By "small amount", roughly how much would you do for the 1kg/1kg mixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I usually just measure it by eye.

just enough to cover the bottom of the pan and if i feel it needs a bit more i'd put in a little more.

Sorry i can't be more specific it's very much a case of take a look and see how its doing.

Advertisement