Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin' wasps!

Options
  • 07-08-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

I keep on getting attacked by the things every time I open a window or leave the apartment. Anything online to stop them is all about getting them stuck in honey or jam or whatever so they die. I'd prefer it if they didn't die, so anyone know a novel way of repelling them? Something I can just grab at Tesco or something. Like maybe they really don't like alka seltzer or something.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough I've not seen a single wasp this year. Usually the garden is full of them around now.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I keep on getting attacked by the things every time I open a window or leave the apartment. ......Something I can just grab at Tesco or something....
    Stock up on food in Tesco. Close the windows, and don't leave the apartment again until it's winter.
    Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,259 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stay out of the Hamptons?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I keep on getting attacked by the things every time I open a window or leave the apartment. Anything online to stop them is all about getting them stuck in honey or jam or whatever so they die. I'd prefer it if they didn't die, so anyone know a novel way of repelling them? Something I can just grab at Tesco or something. Like maybe they really don't like alka seltzer or something.

I heard they really don't like alka seltzer.

just kill em. They wouldn't hesitate to do it to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

You don't swat them they won't sting you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny enough I've not seen a single wasp this year. Usually the garden is full of them around now.

Same as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You could try lying face down on the floor for an hour again. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

bgrizzley wrote: »
    You don't swat them they won't sting you.

But they try and steal my Bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Fúck the wasps, it's the bastardin' bluebottles the size of bats that need to be nuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My sisters both got stung yesterday, go fig :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Not seen a single wasp yet..

Few bees alright but I usually just ignore them. They ain't the same as those sadistic non honey making wasp cnuts! I'm just glad it's you on their $hit list and not me!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Change deodorant.

put a glass on the windowsill with jam around the edges, they'll gravitate toward it and stick, bunches of them, hundreds, thousands, millions :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I'm seeing a sh*tload of them lately, unfortunately had to pop a cap in one yesterday when he came into my bedroom.

BTW:
    http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1299042485521521.jpeg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If you are not a fan of wasps I suggest you Google image search the Japanese giant hornet, and be grateful for where you live...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They'll be dead shortly anyway.Don't know what function they serve but there seems to be a plague of the little feckers about,quite small at the moment but they're probably still young.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I used to work on roofs,the only thing that used to get me through the day was killing hundreds of the bastards with a blowtorch.

I used to work on roofs,the only thing that used to get me through the day was killing hundreds of the bastards with a blowtorch.

Thought you were female for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

kneemos wrote: »
    Thought you were female for some reason.

I can be whatever you want me to be if you're paying honey.

I can be whatever you want me to be if you're paying honey.

Ahh no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

swipe them with a towel.

A bit of practise and a few stings later...

You'll nail the feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I can not recall to have ever been stung by either a bee or wasp. I put this down to not giving a fcuk when either of the critters invades my personal space; instead of freaking out.

Horseflies on the other hand: utter bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Electric tennis racket. Improve your one-handed backhand and massacre the little fcukers at the same time. Win-Win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I'm either hearing "Loads of wasps" or "Where are the wasps?" this year. No in between. Isn't some fertiliser wiping out a load of them and this could have disastrous consequences for global food production?

I'm either hearing "Loads of wasps" or "Where are the wasps?" this year. No in between. Isn't some fertiliser wiping out a load of them and this could have disastrous consequences for global food production?

They be bees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

I hate the feckers although I was in Uganda a few years ago and their local wasps are extremely aggressive compared to our ones. They land and sting straight away, no warning!
    As someone suggested get a jam jar, half fill with water, rub some honey/jam on the upper rim, bore a hole in the lid just big enough to let the wasp in and bobs ur uncle!
    There are a lot less wasps around this year due to the bad summer last year and the wet spring this year :-))

Advertisement