Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms & Conditions for a new website

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

HI,
    I am launching a new website in a few weeks and I need some information for the Terms and Conditions section.

How/Where do I start to get this info? Do I copy it from another site and tweak to my needs? Is there a specific agency/tool that does this for you?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Frosty1980 wrote: »
    HI,
    I am launching a new website in a few weeks and I need some information for the Terms and Conditions section.

How/Where do I start to get this info? Do I copy it from another site and tweak to my needs? Is there a specific agency/tool that does this for you?

Thanks

Speaking generally and hypothetically:

The T&Cs depend on the business/website.

There will probably be legal requirements that a web developer won't think of themselves, but that are important.

I don't know of particular services that do this. It would seem too situation dependent to get from a can.

The safest thing to do in this situations is generally to hire a lawyer. That way the risk of making a mistake is partially outsourced. Lawyers are expensive. But it could cost a lot of money to mess up the T&Cs.

Some people won't do that. They'll write their own T&Cs from looking at other businesses and websites as inspiration. This is riskier.

Lots of factors are relevant:
    What is the website doing/selling? Is there likely to be a dispute? What are the costs and risks? Are their consequences if something goes wrong with the particular enterprise?

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone in this area. I am not advising you to do anything. That's the kind of judgement call up to the person running the business or website. You have provided no information about your particular scenario, so no advice is possible, but even if it was, its probably too close to asking for legal advice for you to get it online.

I'm not going to give you any particular answer or advice; it sounds too much like legal advice for it to be an area for me to venture into.

Maybe this isnt the right forum. Maybe try one of the business or legal forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

In college, we had to find a copy of some very vague terms and conditions for our websites.

I doubt that would work at all for a professional website though, so as said above, hire someone else to do it.

G'luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Pick 10 popular similar mainstream sites, read their T&C's to the point you can understand every clause in them. Re-word slightly and use.

If you can't understand every clause and why it's there then you need to employ a professional as previously stated. 99% of it is common sense though.

Advertisement