Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JLPT December 2013

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭

Well folks, can't start preparing too early ;) Anyone thinking of taking JLPT this December? I'm going to sit N2 for the first time (perhaps not the last) and am starting to think about what I need to do to prepare. Long road yet but it's August so I'm going to be optimistic for now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Merrill

Hi Tristam
    i'm going for N5 in December. I've only self studied a few months so I reckon it'll be a bit of a challenge.
    Have you registered yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yup finally sitting N3 in DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

joe_dunne wrote: »
    I just came on here to find out if there were any testing centers in Ireland, December may be a bit too soon for me, I'm still working my way through Level 5.

Just a note that signing your post off with a link to a business/club/whatever's FB page is considered spamming on here so don't do it again, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Depending on the results of another exam which I may have to resit in March and therefore would distract me from studying Japanese, I may or may not give the N1 a go.

When is the sign up date? (I know I can check this online, but let's chat...)

How are people feeling about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Not sure when sign ups open up to be honest. Will check the website late this week and see. Is it another Japanese test your waiting on?

• Advertisement

I stopped being lazy and googled it

https://www4.dcu.ie/salis/japanese/jlpt.shtml

http://www.jlpt.jp/e/application/overseas_index.html

It seems the application is different to when you're inside Japan. On the DCU website it says the application will be available online from early August, but there isn't a link. I'm sure it will get sorted soon. Application from September 1st, doesn't say the closing date.

The other exam for entering college, not Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

Probably doing N3 in December (maybe, maybe N4. Most likely N3).

Is it safe to consider N3 a superset of N4, for example? As in, would it be safe to study N4 material as a basis before studying N3 material (particular kanji)? I'm presuming it is, but just don't want to waste time.

Yup I would say N3 kanji are N4 plus a bunch others.

n4 grammar is the building blocks, so would be vital for N3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Think I'm going to do this just to consolidate what I've learned, and gauge where my Japanese is. Also, it can't hurt having it for the aul CV.....

Think I'll give N4 a blast, but I'm in no rush, so maybe N5, see how the test works then N4 next summer.

Tristram wrote: »
    Well folks, can't start preparing too early ;) Anyone thinking of taking JLPT this December? I'm going to sit N2 for the first time (perhaps not the last) and am starting to think about what I need to do to prepare. Long road yet but it's August so I'm going to be optimistic for now!

Wish I'd done some study since making that initial post. Now faced with a few weeks of cramming before almost certain failure. Still, I guess I'll be glad to see just what N2 is like. Need to get the head down soon.

• Advertisement

Same. Hate when that happens...

Ganbarimasho!

And another week of nothing. :(

Chin up!! Get the head down whenever you can, 10 mins a day is better than nothing! In one day, you might get to grips with a grammar point that unlocks the reading section for you! :)

(However, I'm only doing N5, so what do I know! I decided to start from the ground up, to get used to the exam. I've been told the AJATT method doesn't suit the JLPT. we shall see!)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

I'll be doing N4 as it turns out (was thinking of N3, but it's too difficult at the moment).

Kanji is grand. Reading/grammar etc. is grand. I'm concerned about the listening though. I dunno is it just me, or do they intentionally make the listening above the level of the reading (I felt the same for Leaving Cert languages, like French, Irish, and even the Japanese ones which I came across). I'm basing my concern on some preparation materials I bought - 'Goukaku Dekiru'. It's great material.

I find their N5 listening a bit too easy. But their N4 listening leaves me stuck. It all happens so fast, and too many words I don't know. Plus bits of grammar just pass over me. Eugh...just hope the real one is a bit easier.

忘年会 on Saturday to help get ready :P Myself and a mate who is taking N1 are hoping we will still be drunk for the test Sunday. Might help! :D

I'm an idiot. Standing outside without my test voucher. :/

Fingers crossed I suppose...good luck everyone!

Ah jaysus. Sorry to hear that. Next time! I had a very hung-over test today. Went as expected. Will take it again come July.

They let me in! Haha! Not as strict as in Japan I suppose....

Well, I suppose we wait till March. Still, at least you got a night out from it!

That was tough eh?! Sounds silly to say but N1 was way harder than N2. Ouch!

There's supposed to be quite a gap alright. Any of my friends who have sat it have commented on the jump. Hope it went well for ya!

• Advertisement

Results available online to those who applied through the site. I have to say I was somewhat pleasantly surprised with my score despite failing. As usual my listening is light-years ahead of everything else and that section continues to be my safe haven. If I make a small push with reading over the next while N2 shouldn't be a problem come July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

How long would you have to be studying Japanese for each of those levels? Is N1 like almost fluent? I've a year and a half of Japanese behind me after taking it up from scratch in university, but I'm no longer studying it and didn't get to a great level anyway. Just wondering what I'd be getting myself in for if I was to go back to studying it at a later stage (probably after college).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Togepi wrote: »
    How long would you have to be studying Japanese for each of those levels? Is N1 like almost fluent? I've a year and a half of Japanese behind me after taking it up from scratch in university, but I'm no longer studying it and didn't get to a great level anyway. Just wondering what I'd be getting myself in for if I was to go back to studying it at a later stage (probably after college).

N1 would be almost fluent, yes. In a sense anyway - since JLPT doesn't measure your speaking ability, technically you could be dreadful at speaking but if your kanji/grammar/listening are up to scratch then you could pass N1.

Obviously, everyone takes a different amount of time to get to a certain level and it depends on how frequently etc. you're studying. I've never had a chance to take the JLPT but I do have a rough idea of where I'm at - 2.5 years of full time study in university and I'm borderline N2. As in, if I were to take a level now I'd take N2 but I'm not quire sure I'd manage to pass it.

JLPT really isn't the be all and end all of measuring your Japanese ability though. If your strengths lie in speaking, it certainly won't reflect how good you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Konata wrote: »
    N1 would be almost fluent, yes. In a sense anyway - since JLPT doesn't measure your speaking ability, technically you could be dreadful at speaking but if your kanji/grammar/listening are up to scratch then you could pass N1.

Obviously, everyone takes a different amount of time to get to a certain level and it depends on how frequently etc. you're studying. I've never had a chance to take the JLPT but I do have a rough idea of where I'm at - 2.5 years of full time study in university and I'm borderline N2. As in, if I were to take a level now I'd take N2 but I'm not quire sure I'd manage to pass it.

JLPT really isn't the be all and end all of measuring your Japanese ability though. If your strengths lie in speaking, it certainly won't reflect how good you are!

Thanks for that! Was just looking for a rough idea, didn't realise it didn't include any speaking though.

Any idea how much the exams cost, just out of interest?

Advertisement