Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you buy/live in a house with a sinister past?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading this article about a British serial killer that killed three of his fifteen victims in a house that was recently put on the market with an £100,000 lower asking price than the other houses in the area.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2385003/Serial-killer-Dennis-Nilsens-house-horrors-sale-knock-265-000.html

I know that I could never live in a house like this let alone buy it,. know matter what the asking price. I don't believe in ghosts but I would find it very hard to sleep knowing that such horrible things happened there. Even in the middle of the night when you would hear a noise it would really make my mind wonder.

So, could you buy/live in a house with such a horrible past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks as if most people wouldn't live in it if they knocked a hundred grand off the price.Some practically minded persons or even another physchopath would jump at the bargain but personally it would be at the back of my mind all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Wouldn't bother me one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

no i couldnt to be honest as soon as youd be alone in the house funny things would be going through the head

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I wouldn't be bothered, once it's cleaned up and such. A house is a house in my eyes and moving into one with such a history would only lead to interesting conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

No way, I've seen paranormal activity too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Place looks like a bit of a depressing did, regardless of its history.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

And 'He put parts of the corpses down the drain' ... Don't think I could ever take a dump in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Chem Lord wrote: »
    And 'He put parts of the corpses down the drain' ... Don't think I could ever take a dump in peace.

At least you wouldn't be taking one in pieces...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I think I would if it was significantly cheaper for how nice it was, if I was actually worried about all that supernatural stuff I would just pay a Priest, a Psychic and a Witchdoctor to do a few exorcisms (covering all the bases!).

I wouldn't buy that house though for the simple fact that its well known as a serial killers house, had a conversation recently with a friend about this very place, and he had gone down to take a look at it when he lived in the area and I imagine this happens a lot, and as well as the simple sightseers you would wonder about all the other weirdo's the place would attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yes, the past is the past.

Yours Sincerely,

Captain Obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Does it have a cellar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'd steer clear of it. Apart from its past victims I would be more worried about becoming a future victim. I'd be worried as the new owner that I would end up with a collection of new random friends who would be more ghoulishly interested in my dwelling place than me. Places like that would tend to draw weirdos, one of whom might be interested in a reenactment and I wouldn't cop on till too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I hear the The Overlook Hotel is still looking for a purchaser, and it's going really cheap!

Only issue is that red rum thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Wouldn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No problem..

The history would also be perfect for scaring my kids into behaving -"if you don't finish your dinner, Fred West will dismember you in your bed", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I remember listening to a radio show and I think it was a legal thing in certain American states where the estate agent had to mention legally if the house had a ghost(s). Absolutely ridiculous.

Advertisement