Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture repair

Options
  • 06-08-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Is there any way to properly fix a puncture? I got a flat on my new back tyre on sunday and I don't want to have to go and buy a new one already. I've heard that patches are safer than the plugs. Do shops fit these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've been using plugs on all sorts of bikes for as long as I can recall without a single problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

I've been using plugs on all sorts of bikes for as long as I can recall without a single problem.

Personally I have no problem using them either but I was thinking of doing a track day and I've been advised not to use a plug in case it comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

sean61 wrote: »
    Personally I have no problem using them either but I was thinking of doing a track day and I've been advised not to use a plug in case it comes out

I am not sure that I would do a track day with a tyre that has been plugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Your tyres will get a lot hotter on a track than on a road, thats when failures may happen.

Would a patch be better than a plug? I doubt I'll be doing the track day now anyway tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

General rule of thumb is that a patch is fine on the back...if it was the front tyre I would get it patched straight away after the plug. Like OP said never had a patch go bad after plugging a back wheel. And I have had some gaping holes in my tyres especially the last one I got at the Northwest this year.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    General rule of thumb is that a patch is fine on the back...if it was the front tyre I would get it patched straight away after the plug. Like OP said never had a patch go bad after plugging a back wheel. And I have had some gaping holes in my tyres especially the last one I got at the Northwest this year.

Did you mean a plug is ok on the back?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Rear = Plug ok
    Front = Patch (plug only to get you home)

Did you mean a plug is ok on the back?

Sorry, Yes. Plug, plug,plug is perfect for the back. As long as its the sticky skinny ones like melted tar. Not the block ones that a car takes.
    Look biking is all about confidence, if you are un easy about the plug front or back get it patched anyway and put your mind at ease. It would be impossible to keep a bike on the road if you had to get a new tyre every time you got a puncture.

Last year on my FZ6 I got 3 punctures in 2 weeks on the same long stretch of road and no one else on the spins did!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sorry, Yes. Plug, plug,plug is perfect for the back. As long as its the sticky skinny ones like melted tar. Not the block ones that a car takes.
    Look biking is all about confidence, if you are un easy about the plug front or back get it patched anyway and put your mind at ease. It would be impossible to keep a bike on the road if you had to get a new tyre every time you got a puncture.

Last year on my FZ6 I got 3 punctures in 2 weeks on the same long stretch of road and no one else on the spins did!

I've been to work and back now and it seems to be holding. It's a bit more reassuring knowing that other people use plugs and they don't have any issues.

• Advertisement

I've been to work and back now and it seems to be holding. It's a bit more reassuring knowing that other people use plugs and they don't have any issues.

Unless it was a huge hole you should be sorted. I had to use 2 plugs on my last tyre and it was perfect!

Advertisement