Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus won't start

Options
  • 06-08-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭

Got up this morning to head in to work and not a peep out of the car, all the electrics work (Alarm/radio/heater) but the car starter won't engage.

Engine System fault coming up on my Trip computer and metallic thunk noise when i go to start the car.

Im baffled :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Got up this morning to head in to work and not a peep out of the car, all the electrics work (Alarm/radio/heater) but the car starter won't engage.

Engine System fault coming up on my Trip computer and metallic thunk noise when i go to start the car.

Im baffled :(

First thing is pull the codes, see where they point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The battery is too flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Alarm radio heater central locking lights all work, engine doesn't even attempt to turn over.

It's either a starter or immobiliser issue i just can't figure out which.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

If it was immobiliser you wouldn't lose dash lights while its trying to turn over.
    I'd recommend checking the battery while under load.
    Or give the starter motor a little tap while someone is trying to start it, not very likely to have seized up over night but funnier things have happened.

Alarm radio heater central locking lights all work, engine doesn't even attempt to turn over.

It's either a starter or immobiliser issue i just can't figure out which.

All those items will work even if the battery is not fully charged.
    Unfortunately the starter motor doesn't like discharged batteries.

• Advertisement

Bought some new jump leads a couple days ago jumped car and it was fine for 2 days, parked it up for a day or so and its down to 9.5v again, gonna jump it in the morning and drop it into my mechanic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

New battery

New battery

Tks for update. Glad you're sorted.

Yea looks like a new battery is needed.

Swapped out the 35AJ battery i had laying around i bought for my Octavia to replace the 60AJ one for a week or 2.

Should be fine and allow me to confirm what my mechanic told me, Engine System Fault/Acceleration Reduced codes have cleared and it's sitting at 12v+

• Registered Users Posts: 5 simonvd

Hi
    I have 03 ford focus 1.8 diesel with 140k miles and it's a great car but recently it won't start.
    It takes about 6-8 turns of the key, then other days it starts on the first turn. The battery is good, so I'm thinking it could be the starter, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

First step would be a load test on battery when cranking. If it drops below 9 V (assuming no issues with starter motor cable or charging system) prob time to replace the battery. If you have access to a voltmeter you an check this yourself easily.

Advertisement