Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Recommendations

Options
  • 06-08-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a laptop in the next week or two and am looking for some recommendations. It will be used mainly for programming and some gaming. I realise I'm not going to get brilliant performance gaming wise, I've got a dedicated desktop for that, but it would be nice to run games such as Civ V and Chivalry at high-ish specs.

Would also like it to have decent portability so nothing too big.

Good battery life would be nice, but not essential, though easily available spare batteries would be required otherwise.

Max budget of ~€750 (not including potential spare battery).

Looking through the forum I saw someone recommending this though I can't seem to find any batteries for it. Seems to suit my needs otherwise.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get a laptop in the next week or two and am looking for some recommendations. It will be used mainly for programming and some gaming. I realise I'm not going to get brilliant performance gaming wise, I've got a dedicated desktop for that, but it would be nice to run games such as Civ V and Chivalry at high-ish specs.

Would also like it to have decent portability so nothing too big.

Good battery life would be nice, but not essential, though easily available spare batteries would be required otherwise.

Max budget of ~€750 (not including potential spare battery).

Looking through the forum I saw someone recommending this though I can't seem to find any batteries for it. Seems to suit my needs otherwise.

Thanks

That looks like a great machine...Haswell i7 chip with GeForce 740, 2GB graphics and 8GB DDR3 that thing should sing...only thing might be a bit slow is the HDD which probably runs at 5400 RPM (7200 is better, SSD is best) and the battery is weak.

MSI is a good brand though, batteries shouldn't be hard to come by. This seems to be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Definitely a good deal, the GT 740M seems to be quite capable, close to the GT 650M (although not the ideal combo for the full HD display).

Advertisement