Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Third Level in Scotland

• 06-08-2013 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So I was told today that undergrad courses are free to the Irish in Scotland. Now I've done some googling but can only find conflicting information. As I'm on the phone its not as easy to navigate around the net...

So any information would be fantastic, if it is free, what is the catch or restrictions?

Cheers in advance for help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

In the Scottish system the Irish are seen as EU students and so you can apply to the SAAS to have your fees paid for. Its pretty easy, you just fill out a form on the website and you'll get a confirmation letter. Ive gotten mine but I applied months ago. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Rob094 wrote: »
    In the Scottish system the Irish are seen as EU students and so you can apply to the SAAS to have your fees paid for. Its pretty easy, you just fill out a form on the website and you'll get a confirmation letter. Ive gotten mine but I applied months ago. Good luck :)

Does it matter if i hold a degree already?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

I'm not sure of the technicalities sorry, I'm sure you'll find answers on their website: http://www.saas.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tuds2013

same goes in austria

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Med101007

Be careful if you are applying to SAAS to pay your tuition fees. They WILL NOT pay your fees if you are entering the third year of an honours/masters degree in Scotland, IF you received EU public funds while studying for an ordinary degree in Ireland i.e the VEC grant or back to education allowance. This rule was only brought in in August 2011, and I know a few lads who went over to study in Scotland last year, and they ended up having to pay the fees, around 2200 euro. However, SAAS will pay your fees for fourth and fifth year. If on the other hand you didnt get any grant assistance to study in Ireland, SAAS wiil pay your fees for every year you study in Scotland. Basically the rule is: Got the grant at home = have to pay your own fees for third year, SAAS will pay for fourth and fifth year,, Got no grant at home = SAAS will pay all your fees. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

when should we apply.........i M CURRENTLY IN 5 YR

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

surely, you'd have to be resident in Scotland to apply for free fees?

SO WE CANT APPLY IF I AM LIVING IN IRELAND

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

SO WE CANT APPLY IF I AM LIVING IN IRELAND

Sorry, should of worded it better, Can someone apply for the free fees living in Ireland or do they have to be resident in Scotland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Yup! you can apply for fees while living in Ireland as I did back in 2012 and now in my 3rd year in Edinburgh. I highly recommend doing it

• Advertisement

i want to do medicine.can u teell meh how to apply any extra exams i have to give and when to apply .....
    any help would be much appreciated

You need to apply to the UK equivalent of the CAO, UCAS - http://www.ucas.com/ Once you have applied you need to apply for fees from SAAS and do well in your Leaving Certificate! Needs a bit of research and the ucas application is a long process in comparison to the CAO

when should i apply.............. how many months before or after the leaving cert

Start the application process now, the deadline is the 15th of January

i am in 5 yr

Advertisement