Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 100-400mm Replacement

Options
  • 06-08-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey guys.

Ok the titles a little off but I couldnt think what else to name it. No i'm not trying to replace mine, I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if the rumors about a newer version of the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L are legit or not. I recently sold my 70-200mm Sigma with plans to buy the 100-400 Canon, but then up creeps the rumor of a newer version coming out this year. I'm surprised its not already out if it is indeed true, but since I've been in college til a couple months ago I haven't even been looking or keeping up to date with news.

Any help would be awesome and help me decide sooner whether or not to buy now or wait.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Edg3 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Ok the titles a little off but I couldnt think what else to name it. No i'm not trying to replace mine, I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if the rumors about a newer version of the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L are legit or not. I recently sold my 70-200mm Sigma with plans to buy the 100-400 Canon, but then up creeps the rumor of a newer version coming out this year. I'm surprised its not already out if it is indeed true, but since I've been in college til a couple months ago I haven't even been looking or keeping up to date with news.

Any help would be awesome and help me decide sooner whether or not to buy now or wait.

There have been plenty of rumours about a replacement either this year or next. They are that though, just rumours.

Loved that lens when i rented it for an eclipse in the US. Everything except the pump zoom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Canon Rumors just posted an update to the rumours in relation to this very lens today. http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/08/canon-ef-100-400-f4-5-6l-is-update-cr2/

It's all still just rumours. If you want to play the waiting game you might get lucky in a years time but the price will most likely be close to double the current offering as seems to be the current trend with the high end L lens.

If I were you I'd just buy the 100-400 now and enjoy it. Then if you really want you can sell it on later to buy a newer version of the lens. Chances are it will hold it's current resale value like the 70-200 2.8 IS mk1 seems to have. (...don't hold me to that I can't predict the future)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

Thanks for the replies guy.

I've heard good and bad about it, mostly surrounding the auto focus and I've been told to go for the 300mm f4 L IS USM instead for wildlife photography. Since the prices are so close right now, maybe 100euro either way, they are both acceptable choices.

I do love the idea of 100-400 and I like the pump action zoom personally :) also thanks for the rumors link, that'll come in handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I would go for the 100-400. I it find to be a more versatile when out in the field.
    The Zoom takes a little getting used to but quickly becomes second nature.
    As for the auto focus I have had no issues what so ever. The 300mm as a prime would be that little sharper but imo not enough to do away with the extra 100mm reach and the versatility of the 100-400.

I would go for the 100-400. I it find to be a more versatile when out in the field.
    The Zoom takes a little getting used to but quickly becomes second nature.
    As for the auto focus I have had no issues what so ever. The 300mm as a prime would be that little sharper but imo not enough to do away with the extra 100mm reach and the versatility of the 100-400.

Just to update.

I actually did end up going with the 100-400mm and I couldnt be happier. Took me a few hours and some missed shots but I got the hang of the auto focus. Limiter makes it way easier especially since 99% of what I shoot is over 7meters away and if its not, click, and away you go. The fact that the focus ring is right on the *pump* for extending the barrel makes it like second nature. Love the lens. Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I have the 100-400 and it is a great bit of kit. I used it extensively over the course of a recent holiday and captured some wonderful shots.

It is a bit of a beast weight wise, but once you get used to it the rewards are fantastic.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I have the 100-400 and it is a great bit of kit. I used it extensively over the course of a recent holiday and captured some wonderful shots.

It is a bit of a beast weight wise, but once you get used to it the rewards are fantastic.

Yeah its got some weight to it but its well worth it and I find shooting with it the weight stands to it for balancing. I havent had a chance to really give it a spin, mostly just birds and ... more birds, but the quality is just superb.

9547574761_52bd9fcc8a_c.jpg

9525312258_de9cffa25f_c.jpg

Both shot at 400mm, hand held. You just cant beat the quality.

Advertisement