Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinook in Galway?

Options
  • 06-08-2013 12:34pm

Hi all,

Does the Irish Air Corps own a Chinook?

Last night in North Galway around 12pm I heard what I could only describe as a washing machine gone wrong outside, I looked outside and saw a Chinook!

It was a fairly dark night but I could see both rotor blades spinning and the noise was very defening, It had red and white lights flashing but the image of the machine was obvious to see. It was flying very low.

I have never seen or heard anything like this before, the nearest plane in the SKy are normally high up flying to Knock.

So does the Irish Air Corps own one or have they borrowed one, or does this bird belong to someone else!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

no the IAC flies only single main rotor aircraft.

AW139 and EC135s only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AnFearDorcha

I saw that too! No idea what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Any pics ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

I saw that too! No idea what it was.

You saw an IAC helicopter too?

Maybe they were doing a joint exercise with the Brits or Americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Hi all,

Does the Irish Air Corps own a Chinook?

Ssshhhhh! Nobody is supposed to know about those!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

OP, as pointed out to you in other posts, it was Irish Coast Guard S92 RESCUE118 from Sligo.

Sometimes the Air Corps fly the AW139 at night ( Full NVE equipment too ) to UCH Galway and other hospitals as part of the Air Corps 24hr inter hospital transfer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

If it was a chinook, your house would be shaking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Wokka Wokka

Advertisement