Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comeback against plumber

Options
  • 06-08-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I hope this is in the right section apologies if not. I hope someone can help me, we have just started re-tiling our en-suite and the tiler was taking down the shower and just realised that the plumber who installed the shower for us 3 years ago attached the shower with a screw and put in through the mains water pipe. My question is do we have any comeback against the plumber if this is a major job to get it repaired, it has also been leaking unbeknownst to us down into the kitchen walls. Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

moneen wrote: »
    Hi, I hope this is in the right section apologies if not. I hope someone can help me, we have just started re-tiling our en-suite and the tiler was taking down the shower and just realised that the plumber who installed the shower for us 3 years ago attached the shower with a screw and put in through the mains water pipe. My question is do we have any comeback against the plumber if this is a major job to get it repaired, it has also been leaking unbeknownst to us down into the kitchen walls. Thanks in advance..

Check what damage or if any damage has been caused first. If all is good then ask the plumber would he mind fixing it. Obviously he won't charge you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

It's very hard to blame anyone for a problem that no one knew even existed until recently. As stated above the Plumber may be willing to repair it free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

moneen wrote: »

Normal gaurrantee is for 12 months. Mistakes can happen to the best of us
    That's why we have insurance. And stand by our work to the best of our ability.
    But 3 years on you have very little comeback apposed to say, 3 months.
    Be nice to plumber and I would expect him to be obliging.( I would be )

Come out all guns blazing then expect simular responce.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

This would be nothing to do with warranty or guarantee, it would come under whats knowns as duty of care, and AFAIK this would come under tort law, and there would be a 6 year period where you can pursue it.

A sensible approach of the plumber would be the first step, after that you would have to pursue a legal route, which maybe more expensive than getting it fixed yourself, if it was just the leak and no other damage, wouldn't cost the earth, if there was further damage to the house maybe contact your household insurer for further guidance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

This would be nothing to do with warranty or guarantee, it would come under whats knowns as duty of care, and AFAIK this would come under tort law, and there would be a 6 year period where you can pursue it.

A sensible approach of the plumber would be the first step, after that you would have to pursue a legal route, which maybe more expensive than getting it fixed yourself, if it was just the leak and no other damage, wouldn't cost the earth, if there was further damage to the house maybe contact your household insurer for further guidance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

DGOBS wrote: »

Forgive my igornance,
    I was led to believe that the statue of limatiation which I believed to be for 7 years was to cover only major problems. It's something that I never realy looked up, again something were proberly all guilty of.
    I knew that if I stoped trading then I should also keep up my public liability insurance or simular policy to cover this. What will happen to all the poor self-employed that have gone out of buisness and does not have insurance.
    Does the house holders house policy not also cover this limbo, loop hole.

Seperate issue now, You previously mentioned getting a lobby group together for the oil industry, any progress, can any of us help, you know my own personal details in relation to carbon monoxide.
    Thanks MD

Advertisement