Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is quitting a Job Bridge internship for BTEA allowed?

Options
  • 06-08-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello.

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to best handle my situation with the social welfare office as I'm starting to think I may have shot myself in the foot in getting BTEA for the last year of my degree.

I completed a three year long ordinary degree in May, I was paid BTEA for the duration of the ordinary degree. After I finished my exams I saw a Job Bridge internship advertised that looked like good experience for the summer months. But to make a long story short, I've been working for this company on the Job Bridge scheme since May. The company is happy for me to quit and return to college in September or to see out the remaining months of contract.

I feel it is in my best interests to return to college in September to do the honours year because it will greatly boost my long term employment prospects, plus there have been a couple of instances where I feel like I've been taken advantage of during this internship and the job really isn't what I expected it to be.

Do you think I'll encounter much trouble getting approved for BTEA for September if I quit the Job Bridge internship? Also, do you think it would be possible for me to continue working on the Job Bridge scheme right up until the week before college starts up and get switched over to BTEA once the term begins, or would I need to quit the Job Bridge internship soon in order to apply for BTEA?

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Hi

I have found myself in the same situation.
    I am really worried about it.
    Can you tell me if you got back on the BTEA and did you have to quit your job far in advance of your course starting again in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

lstevo wrote: »
    Hi

I have found myself in the same situation.
    I am really worried about it.
    Can you tell me if you got back on the BTEA and did you have to quit your job far in advance of your course starting again in September?

also in a similar situation if anyone has advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Had you completed the course for which you received BTEA before starting the JobBridge internship or did you start the internship during the summer holidays between academic years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I finished school in 012, Been doing internships and fás courses sense and want to do a PLC course that starts in September but I just started an internship. Could I continue it up till September or would I be better off on the dole for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You need to be in receipt of a SW payment immediately before starting your course. I think you need to give a week's notice to quit JobBridge and also need a week or two to get a SW payment up and running, so would guess that quitting the JobBridge in early to mid August would be sufficient if your course starts beginning of Sept. Check it out with the BTEA person in the Dept of Social Protection (you are allowed time off JobBridge to sort our your SW affairs). Also ensure that you meet all other BTEA requirements. http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement