Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Design

Options
  • 05-08-2013 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hello All

I currently have a website http://www.myelectrician.ie/ which I want to redevelop. I like the overall format but think it lacks a professional look, some of the fonts aren't appealing, the blog is poorly laid out etc.
    I am looking for someone to work with what I have or redevelop from scratch using a suitable theme.
    PM if interested with an eg of other Wordpress based sites you have developed.
    I am based in Dublin.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I think that if you just got rid of all the contact details on your home page, it'd look much better. Anything that has its own page doesn't need to be mentioned any more.

You could also tone down on the interactivity. Not everything needs to spin around like a dog in heat just because you moused over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Hello All

I currently have a website http://www.myelectrician.ie/ which I want to redevelop. I like the overall format but think it lacks a professional look, some of the fonts aren't appealing, the blog is poorly laid out etc.
    I am looking for someone to work with what I have or redevelop from scratch using a suitable theme.
    I am based in Dublin.

Thanks

Why do you think that??
    I am web developer and I think your site is actually looking very nice and professional.

The thing I didn't quite like was the huge contrast of the blue and the background. Hurts the eyes just a tad bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Hello All

I am based in Dublin.

Thanks

This is a critique and not meant to be nice, so apologies in advance. The site is good, but could be a a lot better :-)

The first think I garner is that you are an electrician out on your own, it's great that you are focusing on the online aspect of your business.

Is a blog really necessary? A blog is something record opinions, information, etc. on a regular basis. What i see in your "blog" is a product showcase. As a customer I am looking for a subject matter expert and a blog on the site should be reflective of that.

There is too much on the homepage. Great that your contact details are there. Would prefer to see a picture of you rather than the A-Team's van.

People like information, but the information needs to be in context. As a customer what I want to know is three basic things.

- Is this guy fit for the purpose on skills and cost
    - Is he trustworthy that I would let him work at my house
    - Has he examples of his works - showcase etc.

The trick to get is that a fancy menu will not get potential customers to click, but something usable and succint. I think you have the makings of a great website there but not all on the homepage.

For instance if you look at the unglamourous http://handyman.neocities.org/ which we had as part of a recent course it can be more useful to identify some content blocks and bits of information that could go into them.

Advertisement