Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ssangyong Korando old type

Options
  • 05-08-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone know any thing about the Korando?
    Are they any good to tow/reliable/ etc.
    I know they have the 2.9 Mercedes diesel but is that a good thing or just some marketing tool they used.

Are parts hard to come by?

Looking to pick up something on a budget and came across what looks like a clean example.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The engine was made by some other company under Mercedes license. Meaning its a copy of a old Mercedes engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

baldyshane wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone know any thing about the Korando?
    Are they any good to tow/reliable/ etc.
    I know they have the 2.9 Mercedes diesel but is that a good thing or just some marketing tool they used.

Are parts hard to come by?

Looking to pick up something on a budget and came across what looks like a clean example.

Cheers
    visual wrote: »
    The engine was made by some other company under Mercedes license. Meaning its a copy of a old Mercedes engine.
    It is, but it's a copy of the engine used in the g-wagen and e class diesels. i.e one of the toughest diesel engines ever made, 5 cylinders of pure dogedeness. Great engine, unburstable and bags of power but a tad thirsty. And the Korando is based on an update of the Willys jeep, sooooo, which is the bad bit? Apart from the fugly looks..

You'll not meet a mechanic who runs them down, but plenty of "style" people bad mouth them. I think they are great. I've a musso, a ranger and a sorento and the musso is the fastest and toughest. I've had cruisers and pajeros - the Musso is more powerful and faster but the dash is made out of used condoms. Drive it yourself and make your own mind up - people will say all sorts about them. Musso and korando share engines, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wasnt the original korando (the one we never got) based on the Jeep, and the second one based on the Musso?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wasnt the original korando (the one we never got) based on the Jeep, and the second one based on the Musso?
    Could be. On another note, this is the best engine there is for running on SVO long term. Will burn the stuff like there's no tomorrow and nary a cough.

I actually think the korando is a cool looking machine!

• Advertisement

I actually think the korando is a cool looking machine!
    Interior plastics aside, they're also tough if you change the fluids. Going off my Musso, it goes through the DOE every year without needing anything - not a spanner has been laid on it. It does get a lot of oil changes - diff, box and engine several times every year, but that and a set of tyres is it. I don't think I've even changed a bulb on it and it's an 02..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I just can't get past how big its nose is.
    It just kills any approach angle that you would expect to have on any 4x4 especially one that is copying its styling from Jeep.

The price would have to be on the floor before getting one as they aren't desirable but that might make them better value on small budget.

It has a 3 liter engine (2.9) so it's obviously going to be quicker than typical 2.5liter pickups sold here from similar vintage.

Is it that bad?

cihm.jpg

Edit: yes.

Is it that bad?

cihm.jpg

Edit: yes.
    It isnt. :confused: The overhang is tiny - compare the profile to any other 4*4. It's a clear 45 degrees.

Advertisement