Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hate work need a change.

• 05-08-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys

Having read some of the other problems people are having in their work or lack of work I realise my problems are not as serious. However it also made me realise that when work effects your personal life to the extent that mine does then you need to make a change.

My job is on the tools which is ok, I enjoy it. The money is ok, not eating corn flakes for tea or anything but all it takes is something to crop up to knock you into your overdraft. The issue is with my employer and some of the people we do work for. Since I started working for this company I have been constantly and consistently under valued and over worked. When I think of some of the things I've put up with and how long I was badly paid it makes me mad. Mad and embarrassed that I've allowed myself to be treated like that . I've seen people come and go , getting more for less work and yet they are thought more of. I'm sure I'm echoing the frustrations of many people on boards in this forum. Sadly I have decided to grow a pair when things have been getting tight. I've decided that for my sanity and the sanity of those around me I need to leave this company and get off the tools and away from construction completely . I realise that it's hard for anyone to advise and help through a post on boards but any help will be greatly appreciate. I've always had a keen interest in fitness even though I only gotten semi serious in the last year. I've lost nearly 5 stone and I'm really starting to see more definition and muscular growth . I've read some threads on becoming a PT and frankly it doesn't look like there are many opportunities and I would have to do some serious re training . I guess my question are there any other jobs within the Health and fitness sector , I was looking at possibly dietitian / nutritionist but there doesn't seem to many courses. Anyway any ideas? I have a degree in IT but haven't looked at a computer in years and honestly have no interest in them. Thanks in advance for your time .

I would have no problem studying at night or part time for the next few years and staying in my job as long as I'm working towards something , I'm 33 so the clock is ticking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Hey OP.

I was in your position a few years ago (really didn't like my job).
    First things first, do everything you can to make your job work. This way, if/when you leave, at least you wont feel bad about throwing away a good job, with a head full of what if's.

Start looking for a new job. If your current job is killing you, and you cannot fix it then its time to get out. don't act rashly. spend a week or two doing up a good CV, looking at the work that is out there, if any of it is in your skill level or attainable, if its suitable from a commute perspective and the wages are ok.

Apply, interview and try to get this new job. Remember an interview is a 2 way conversation, you interview the company to see if they are suitable for you just as much as they interview you.

In your case you want to change professions it seems, from IT into Health & fitness. Im not in Health & fitness, but I have a number of friends who are and its a very tough industry. There are a LOT of personal "trainers" around now probably with the same mindset as yourself, looking for a life change. This makes getting a decent paying job difficult. A few that I know are on commission on how many clients they can bring in so they are effectively sales people. Something to consider, as I know id be unhappy if I got a job as a trainer only to become a sales person for a gym. Also Compared to IT, unless you are highly rated and really do know your stuff, wages are not the best, just a thought as this will affect happiness, particularly if you already feel undervalued.

If you still want to go down the personal training route, get qualified and get experience. Do courses to get a piece of paper saying you are certified.
    Also, volunteer in local gym's, local sports teams, schools, etc etc to get real world experience, which is more valuable than anything.

Also, look the part. I have had a trainer who tried to advise me on routines, diet etc, but that trainer was a bit porky or slamming snickers into their faces during sessions. I only listen to advice from people who look like they know what they are talking about. a fat trainer who tries to give me diet advice is as well talk to the wall!

That's a lot of semi-random information there, but hopefully you will get something from it.

Main thing is don't do anything rash. plan your moves carefully so you have some control over your path. good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Wexf

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Hey OP.

I was in your position a few years ago (really didn't like my job).
    First things first, do everything you can to make your job work. This way, if/when you leave, at least you wont feel bad about throwing away a good job, with a head full of what if's.

Start looking for a new job. If your current job is killing you, and you cannot fix it then its time to get out. don't act rashly. spend a week or two doing up a good CV, looking at the work that is out there, if any of it is in your skill level or attainable, if its suitable from a commute perspective and the wages are ok.

Apply, interview and try to get this new job. Remember an interview is a 2 way conversation, you interview the company to see if they are suitable for you just as much as they interview you.

In your case you want to change professions it seems, from IT into Health & fitness. Im not in Health & fitness, but I have a number of friends who are and its a very tough industry. There are a LOT of personal "trainers" around now probably with the same mindset as yourself, looking for a life change. This makes getting a decent paying job difficult. A few that I know are on commission on how many clients they can bring in so they are effectively sales people. Something to consider, as I know id be unhappy if I got a job as a trainer only to become a sales person for a gym. Also Compared to IT, unless you are highly rated and really do know your stuff, wages are not the best, just a thought as this will affect happiness, particularly if you already feel undervalued.

If you still want to go down the personal training route, get qualified and get experience. Do courses to get a piece of paper saying you are certified.
    Also, volunteer in local gym's, local sports teams, schools, etc etc to get real world experience, which is more valuable than anything.

Also, look the part. I have had a trainer who tried to advise me on routines, diet etc, but that trainer was a bit porky or slamming snickers into their faces during sessions. I only listen to advice from people who look like they know what they are talking about. a fat trainer who tries to give me diet advice is as well talk to the wall!

That's a lot of semi-random information there, but hopefully you will get something from it.

Main thing is don't do anything rash. plan your moves carefully so you have some control over your path. good luck.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, it's appreciated, I'm glad you said you were in a similar position, it gives me hope. The part about doing the best job you can sounds like if I kept a diary you have been reading it :) This has been an on going cycle for the past few years, I endeavour to do the best job I can in the hope things might change but when the smallest indiscretion, such as taking a holiday happens I'm isolated and made to feel like I'm at the bottom of the ladder.

I'm actually not in IT , I studied IT but never went into it, I working in maintenance doing electrical , refrigeration , plumbing along those lines. It doesn't make a difference really I'd like to be able do something I enjoy and get decent money for doing it.

My attitude was to basically get in the best shape I can and educate myself as much as I can so that in maybe a year I could look at getting a job in the leisure industry. I definitely think looking the part goes a long way as you say getting tips from a guy who looks like he has eaten all the pies , your not going to take him seriously. I wouldn't be the most confident person so be able to talk the talk and walk the walk would really help.

Thanks for your help and if anyone else would like to add anything please do.

Advertisement