Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MARTS AND QA SCHEME

Options
  • 05-08-2013 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

as far as im aware you have to have an animal in your herd for 72 days now pre slaughter .does that mean you wont do as well selling fat animals trough the ring now as they wont qualify for the scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭nhg

If buying cattle for factory finishing in order to avail of bonus, they can't have had more than 4 herd movements (ie 3 movements with you being the 4th) & you must keep them in your herd for 70 days.

Was at the mart in Thurles last week & a good few of the weanlings in the ring had up to movements, anything half decent was making good money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

imo them screens that show the number of owners and days in herd are a good job, any mart ive been to that dont have that seemed to be a dodgy kind of place, whats the highest amount of owners that 1 animal had that any of ye have seen , highest ive seen was 14 on a 18 month old heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

keep going wrote: »
    as far as im aware you have to have an animal in your herd for 72 days now pre slaughter .does that mean you wont do as well selling fat animals trough the ring now as they wont qualify for the scheme
    was talking to the brother in law yesterday and he sells a lot of cattle to aibp and they say that they only want cattle now that are 70 days on last farm, complaining that they have no market for nonqa beef at the moment

DMAXMAN wrote: »
    was talking to the brother in law yesterday and he sells a lot of cattle to aibp and they say that they only want cattle now that are 70 days on last farm, complaining that they have no market for nonqa beef at the moment

I see in new ross mart that if the owner is in qa it comes up.on the screen -Qa70d+ so, only place ive seen that

DMAXMAN wrote: »

I see in new ross mart that if the owner is in qa it comes up.on the screen -Qa70d+ so, only place ive seen that

• Advertisement

The animal being on the last farm for 70 days doesn't matter to the next buyer if they are planning on finishing for the factory as they will still have to have the animal for 70 days on their farm to qualify for the bonus, its the number of movements that will matter most for QA.

They should also show what breed is on the animals card on the mart info board as then you would know for sure if any bonus might be available on that animal, it would be fairer in the bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭TippNorth

With regard to movements, is it just the number of farm residencies that count? What if the previous owner has taken the animal to the mart on a few occasions but not sold it? Does the mart count as a movement?

TippNorth wrote: »
    With regard to movements, is it just the number of farm residencies that count? What if the previous owner has taken the animal to the mart on a few occasions but not sold it? Does the mart count as a movement?

No I wouldn't think so, the number of herd number transfers is what is counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

simx wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it is in Enniscorthy as well but it is about 15 months since I was there last.
    nhg wrote: »
    No I wouldn't think so, the number of herd number transfers is what is counted.

It is as you say.

Number of herd movements is stricter for AA and HE schemes.

Advertisement