Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Python Job Offer

Options
  • 04-08-2013 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am currently working for an Investment Bank (IB) where I have done two role one being a Java Developer and more recently a Support Analyst. I really dislike the support role and I want to get back into development.

Last week I got a verbal job offer for another IB doing Python development. I am definitely going to be taking it as its a move back into development and they are paying me €40k (considering I only left Uni 3 years ago). I have no Python experience at all (well I did write hello world months ago in it and I added a null check to someone else Python script recently) but they will train me up and just wanted someone with OOP experience.

Now I am just wondering how this move would look to potential future employers?

Is there less jobs available for Python then there is for Java?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Decent enough money and a chance to learn a new language? Are you interested in developing in Python?

If I was interviewing someone and saw they had commercial experience in Java and Python, I'd probably be more interested in that candidate and someone who just did Java.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're thinking of learning a new language, its certainly worth checking out the job sites/salary surveys to see what the current state of the market is and get an idea whether its growing or not.

If you're interested in getting back into Dev, somebody paying you to learn a new language is certainly going to be one of the nicer ways to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

Are you interested in developing in Python?

I haven't paid it too much thought, my plan was to get really proficient at Java and I have spent the last few months trying to fill in the gaps in knowledge I had with the language then maybe after another year or two industrial experience look at other languages.

I have been doing a fair bit of Perl scripting/programming in the last few months which I had never done before.

Advertisement