Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid-fuel heating system questions.

Options
  • 04-08-2013 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have recently bought a new Hunter stove to heat the house, it will be doing Rads and hot water. (No Oil/Gas system in the house)

The old system was an 1" cold supply to the cylinder, 3/4 hot and 1" flow and return to the old stove.(Bungalow)

I have a new cylinder bought and header tank for it.

It will have to be a 2 pipe system again because of location so I understand an Injector Tee is to be used. (got that)

Question (1)
    I would like an option for priority to hot water or to Rads or both, Can this be done using a 3-port valve on a back boiler setup? Valve would be located on the hot 1" from the stove and the open vent would be before the valve (boiler always having a open vent. A pump would be fitted on the return for the rads I understand?

Question (2)
    6 Rads in total, 3 Rads will have to be surface run I was thinking 3/4 copper, in one circuit.

The rest are under floor runs so I was thinking 1/2" individual runs all back to a manifold in the hot press (so I wont have any under floor joints)

Pipe used was going to be qual-pex underfloor?

Electrical, is Pipe stat set to 55 degrees on the return on the stove, kicks in pump. Maybe a 2 gang switch for Hot-water only or Rads only?

I would greatly appreciate an ideas views improvements. I am not a plumber and I am not doing it myself. I will have a plumber in soon, so I can get a scope of what I will be looking at.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently bought a new Hunter stove to heat the house, it will be doing Rads and hot water. (No Oil/Gas system in the house)

The old system was an 1" cold supply to the cylinder, 3/4 hot and 1" flow and return to the old stove.(Bungalow)

I have a new cylinder bought and header tank for it.

It will have to be a 2 pipe system again because of location so I understand an Injector Tee is to be used. (got that)

Question (1)
    I would like an option for priority to hot water or to Rads or both, Can this be done using a 3-port valve on a back boiler setup? Valve would be located on the hot 1" from the stove and the open vent would be before the valve (boiler always having a open vent. A pump would be fitted on the return for the rads I understand?

Question (2)
    6 Rads in total, 3 Rads will have to be surface run I was thinking 3/4 copper, in one circuit.

The rest are under floor runs so I was thinking 1/2" individual runs all back to a manifold in the hot press (so I wont have any under floor joints)

Pipe used was going to be qual-pex underfloor?

Electrical, is Pipe stat set to 55 degrees on the return on the stove, kicks in pump. Maybe a 2 gang switch for Hot-water only or Rads only?

I would greatly appreciate an ideas views improvements. I am not a plumber and I am not doing it myself. I will have a plumber in soon, so I can get a scope of what I will be looking at.

Thanks.

Basically get rid of your valve.Do not fit any type of valve on the primary flow Put the stat on the flow. Turn it to 65 and this will give hot water the extra kick you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Thanks for the reply, I will have a plumber in next week to have a look. I am an Electrician myself and the job is my own place, so I have the floors already chased and the Rads hung all ready to go for him.

On the Hunter manual it says 2 stats should be placed 1 High limit and 1 low limit.
    High limit set at 85 on the flow to by pass pump controls (I see this as pointless who would want a time-clock & a room stat on a stove only set up anyway) the other is the low(on the return) set at 55 to help prevent boiler corrosion it says and to bring in the pump any views on this?

I take it is ok just to turn off all the Rad valves if I don't want them on, If I only wanted to heat the water lets say?

It also says I need a heat sink Rad off the primary circuit is this need? One plumber told me I didn't.

Sorry for all the questions, I am getting the gear myself so I don't want to make to many trips ha.

Thanks again lads much appreciated...

Advertisement