Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this normal?

• 03-08-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I've being off cigarettes now for 3 days, the first 2 days where extremely rough, i had being smoking 7 years, and smoking about 15 - 20 for about 5 years id be pretty heavy smoker in that i need fag breaks etc. first 2 days i had no concentration, couldn't sleep i was just a nightmare. But today i seem perfectly fine my cravings are very easy to deal with my energy is fine, i sleeping ok.. i feel like im fully off the smokes but couldnt be that easy? could i be off them in just 2 days after being on them so long?
    could it be a calm before a storm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

When I quit in January, I found the first few days not too bad as well, I did get a bit of a rough patch around the week - 2 week mark but my goal was just to get through another day without cigarettes. I think after about four weeks i stopped counting the days and have'nt looked back since thankfully. Knowing you have resisted temptation is a great feeling when you look back in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

im on day 5 now, first 2 days where bad rest where easy, all in all i found quitting smoking simple! i didnt use much will power...
    i just dont understand how i found it so easy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

3 week's today. I'm actually suprised how easy it was to stop. I would normally smoke 15-20 a day, and if i went to the pub, it could be double.

There's a box beside me with 15 cigs in it, and i have no interest in them at all. But i also haven't been out for a drink in 3 week's. That will be the next challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Giving up cigarettes is really easy. The hard bit is staying off.

No disrespect and congratulations etc but a few days or weeks doesn't mean you've got it cracked. Maybe you do, but temptation is easy to give in to.

I'd say loads of people manage a few days. A few weeks or even a month or two. I did it myself. It's the NEVER smoking again that's a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Hi I agree with 'Duck's Hoop' maybe it is easy for the original smoker - but that is definitely not the norm - its the staying off thats not easy - im 53 days off them with the patch - and it still is not easy - cravings can come at any time - i know it will get easier eventually - i read that cigerretes manipulate 'dopamine' levels in the brain - these are the 'reward' chemicals or something - and also cig manufactures have been 'freebasing' nicotine for years - making it more potent by using ammonia - similar to crack and cocaine - nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man - 5 times the addictiveness of cocaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

I know its early days but i feel as fine as ever, i remember when i tried to quit before and how hard it was... i feel perfectly fine i rarely crave and if i do only light craving which passes very quickly...

Just wondering if there would be a reason why one would find it easier to quit over someone else physically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

I think it depends on your own personal state of mind, I had been thinking a lot about quitting in the weeks pre New Years and when the time came, i kinda actually just stopped smoking and that was it, very simple.
    I tried to quit before and did'nt last a day because really i was'nt committed to quitting anyway.

Think it all boils down to the individual person and having your own willpower.

Advertisement