Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Detecting Buying and Advice

Options
  • 03-08-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Im 16 and have always been interested in watching metal detecting videos and am thinking of buying one.My coin collecting hobby could benifit from it.I was going to buy a cheap one but though of saving for a garrett at pro or gold.Something waterproof and sturdy!

If i was to be spending 200-500 is it worth it here in ireland,Anyone find any interesting items coins im after mainly,Good places to search streams,fields?

Need info and advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

1shot16 wrote: »
    Im 16 and have always been interested in watching metal detecting videos and am thinking of buying one.My coin collecting hobby could benifit from it.I was going to buy a cheap one but though of saving for a garrett at pro or gold.Something waterproof and sturdy!

If i was to be spending 200-500 is it worth it here in ireland,Anyone find any interesting items coins im after mainly,Good places to search streams,fields?

Need info and advice :)

No real advice on actual metal detectors but do read the sticky post on the guidelines on metal detecting in Ireland and it's laws. Basically if anyone digs for an archaeological object without a license - they are breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

No real advice on actual metal detectors but do read the sticky post on the guidelines on metal detecting in Ireland and it's laws. Basically if anyone digs for an archaeological object without a license - they are breaking the law.

You serious will read it now.I was down with the godfather sed there was a silver coins found near him and he was told they kept em. :confused:

Maybe a serious find like a challis but not the odd coin found in the field?

Government trying to keep everything for themselves fu*kin crooks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kicking Bird

You serious will read it now.I was down with the godfather sed there was a silver coins found near him and he was told they kept em. :confused:

Maybe a serious find like a challis but not the odd coin found in the field?

What is this guy on about?!!!!

What is this guy on about?!!!!

Calm down ;)

Saying the government want people to turn everything they find in for them selves or the state

Dont have any advice no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Calm down ;)

Saying the government want people to turn everything they find in for them selves or the state

Dont have any advice no?

Why should you be entitled to someone else's lost property? Why should you be entitled to keep something that has intrinsic scientific value to the country as a whole? The Gov doesn't own archaeology. The people of Ireland do. In a museum it can be enjoyed (usually for free) by all, and brings in tourists.

Here are the laws regarding detectors.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85779958&postcount=3

• Advertisement

robp wrote: »
    Why should you be entitled to someone else's lost property?

Finders keepers and spending hundreds of euro on a metal detector.What youd rather it sit there rotting in the ground then?

Dont worry im sure ill find the rightful owner of a coin dated to the 1800's :rolleyes:

Sure people in america and england find gold and silver why should they give it in unless its historical value fair enough then.

They aint going to be putting common finds in a museum lad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Silliest thread ever in the archaeology forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement