Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest residence in waterford?

Options
  • 03-08-2013 1:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

Hi all, i am an international student and will be reaching in waterford in september to start my masters program at wit. so i want help to find the cheapest accommodation in waterford, my basic goal is to find as much cheap as possible no matter if it is shared, flat, house etc. hoping to get valuable response. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Your best bet is to have a look on

http://www.daft.ie

Or another one to have a look at is

http://www.collegecribs.ie

You be looking at lest 40 euros a week + bills where ever you are in waterford but take into acc a older house will cost a lot more to heat in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

Id say your best bet is to find shared house which you may find difficult if you dont know anyone.
    Daft.ie & collegecribs are good also try to get the munster express online if you can

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shahidulsuir

As I moved last year in Waterford, can give you some suggestions.

1. Use daft.ie or rent.ie or adverts.ie for getting shared apartments.

2. Typical rents can very from 160-200 Euro for single person apartment. 180 is a good option.

3. Please don't take any apartment for a long time, rather than talk to the land lord that you will move within next 2-3 months. After getting used to here, then , choose another nice house within the same rent amount.

4. If you are from Indian subcontinent, most probably it's easy to find any person easily (I have few known persons too). Then sharing with them, within budget price, in general.

5. Please make sure from the land lord exactly what amount you have to pay for different bills (electricity, gas, washing machine, bins, internet). It's a crucial point, otherwise, it will make a lot of hassles for you.

6. Most importantly, use google maps to detect the position of the apartment so that it can be easily accessible by bus, near to shopping malls, and other facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

As I moved last year in Waterford, can give you some suggestions.

3. Please don't take any apartment for a long time, rather than talk to the land lord that you will move within next 2-3 months. After getting used to here, then , choose another nice house within the same rent amount.

5. Please make sure from the land lord exactly what amount you have to pay for different bills (electricity, gas, washing machine, bins, internet). It's a crucial point, otherwise, it will make a lot of hassles for you.

Two awful points really, especially no. 5.

Electricity/Gas vary month-by-month so the landlord can't do anything about this.

callaway92 wrote: »

Electricity/Gas vary month-by-month so the landlord can't do anything about this.

I know landlord can't do anything but a new person should know an approximate amount. In a shared apartment, I had to pay the electricity bill for 3 persons in one month while all others have gone out. In fact, it was a 2 months bill. The landlord informed me, he had nothing to do with this bill. So, paid from my pocket.

Besides, in one apartment, I had to pay coin in the box of washing machine and electricity. After a month, I found the total amount exceeds three times that the landlord informed me.

• Advertisement

I know landlord can't do anything but a new person should know an approximate amount. In a shared apartment, I had to pay the electricity bill for 3 persons in one month while all others have gone out. In fact, it was a 2 months bill. The landlord informed me, he had nothing to do with this bill. So, paid from my pocket.

Besides, in one apartment, I had to pay coin in the box of washing machine and electricity. After a month, I found the total amount exceeds three times that the landlord informed me.

Well the 1st thing can happen to anyone as it will clearly say in your terms of your lease that bills are covered by the housemates not the landlord.
    If you had to pay for your housemates ESB why did you not go after them for the money ? even if they where not there as they still have to pay there cut.

You must have been doing a lot of washing if that is the case you where using more then the landlord would have been thinking you where going to use.
    Also You can never tell how much ESB you are ever going to use and the coin meters are a Rip off anyway as you will end up paying more for your ESB then some one you gets a bill every 2 mouths.

Well the 1st thing can happen to anyone as it will clearly say in your terms of your lease that bills are covered by the housemates not the landlord.
    If you had to pay for your housemates ESB why did you not go after them for the money ? even if they where not there as they still have to pay there cut.

You must have been doing a lot of washing if that is the case you where using more then the landlord would have been thinking you where going to use.
    Also You can never tell how much ESB you are ever going to use and the coin meters are a Rip off anyway as you will end up paying more for your ESB then some one you gets a bill every 2 mouths.

Yes, agree with you. But it was difficult for me to fix all of these things as I was new to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

callaway92 wrote: »

I disagree. If I was moving to Waterford for the first time (which I did about 12 years ago) and didn't know anyone, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a 12 month lease in somewhere like Ballybeg or Templars Hal (no offense to any inhabitants of with). I would mush rather find somewhere to stay for a few months while getting to know the city and then making an informed choise about where I will live long term.

Re utilities, I have lived in apartments before where utility bills were included in the rent and with the rise in popularity of monthly fixed billing plans, whereby the annual consumption is divided by 12 to get 12 equal monthly payments, this can be even more common and makes the bills predictable. I work for a major utility company and know first hand that a lot of landlords are keeping properties in their name on these fixed bill plans.

Just food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 temnos

I was renting a room for a year on tramore road in grace dieu manor an old religious retreat. I was paying 102 euro a month it is by far the cheapest accommodation in Waterford. It is run by a security company, no esb or other charges, very clean, own shower/bathroom shared cooking facilities. Worth having a look, search Camelot Ireland and apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The price for there has gone up. I rented a double en suite yesterday for €150 pm. There are two single ensuites left for €125 pm still there, but there's no hot water in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ahmadz

wet-paint wrote: »
    The price for there has gone up. I rented a double en suite yesterday for €150 pm. There are two single ensuites left for €125 pm still there, but there's no hot water in them.

Hello, just read your post, well i am coming to waterford in september to join WIT. i am intersted in your offer which is 125 euros a month. So please pm me the details like facilities: kitchen, room heating, internet, amount of utility bills i have to pay.

If there is no hot water, so can i install equipment for hot water in bathroom on my own behalf, if yes what does it cost to me? I am planning to install hot water power shower which will run on electricity. thanks.

ahmadz wrote: »
    Hello, just read your post, well i am coming to waterford in september to join WIT. i am intersted in your offer which is 125 euros a month. So please pm me the details like facilities: kitchen, room heating, internet, amount of utility bills i have to pay.

If there is no hot water, so can i install equipment for hot water in bathroom on my own behalf, if yes what does it cost to me? I am planning to install hot water power shower which will run on electricity. thanks.

1st thing ahmadz he is not offering anything to anyone about a room.

LoL some house mate your going to be getting the builders in to fit a shower for you in your bed room LoL. Housemates be like what is this guy on LoL

1st thing ahmadz he is not offering anything to anyone about a room.

LoL some house mate your going to be getting the builders in to fit a shower for you in your bed room LoL. Housemates be like what is this guy on LoL

Well I don't understand samapple789, please elaborate, what he is offering, what I understand is that, it is a single room for 125 pm having no hot water in it right?? what do you know more about it.. plz share

Well I don't understand samapple789, please elaborate, what he is offering, what I understand is that, it is a single room for 125 pm having no hot water in it right?? what do you know more about it.. plz share

Hes not renting anything what so ever its House Letting agency in witch you will have to get in touch with.

Yes there is no hot water in the room but this place is in tramore so it will be basically about 8KM away from the college and you will have to get a bus in every day.

You will not be able to do any kind of work in your house in Ireland as landlords will not wont there houses to be taking about by some one who has only taking out a 9 mouth lease on the place

Hes not renting anything what so ever its House Letting agency in witch you will have to get in touch with.

Yes there is no hot water in the room but this place is in tramore so it will be basically about 8KM away from the college and you will have to get a bus in every day.

You will not be able to do any kind of work in your house in Ireland as landlords will not wont there houses to be taking about by some one who has only taking out a 9 mouth lease on the place

ok so that means we wont get hot water in the house in any way...? or simply there is no hot water in attached bathroom in rooms, but we may find it on a shared bathroom?

ok so that means we wont get hot water in the house in any way...? or simply there is no hot water in attached bathroom in rooms, but we may find it on a shared bathroom?

I dont live there so i have no clue but i think you be sharing the loo with who ever else you be living with and also i think the same for the kitchen

Here is a link about the place

http://www.thejournal.ie/guardians-sought-for-manor-house-property-in-waterford-city-452927-May2012/

It says that you need to be working full time with proof to rent from them

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jonathanod

I think what the guys are trying to say is that there will be not hot running water in the house.

The houses under this scheme are usually very old houses. I can almost guarantee that you won't be allowed to install any sort of hot water system, as I said before these houses are very old and usually protected.

Your best bet is to stick with Daft.ie, in my experience this is the best. You can certainly try and negotiate bills with the landlord before moving into the house, but, I don't think this would be a realistic demand as said before there is no way of forecasting the amount that's going to be owed on a bill, bills will increase and decrease depending on the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Jesus Ahmadz, contact Camelot properties - google will help you there. And then ask them. Or read your bloody messages.

Advertisement