Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Moment in UCD?

Options
  • 03-08-2013 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

The lack of craic in the forum has been bemoaned recently, so I thought I'd ask a pertinent question?

Whats been your favourite moment in UCD?

Graduating, nights out, society events, SU people falling over, lecturers gaffes, your classmates, anything, anything at all?

Also, college is a different animal for everyone, so it'd be interesting to get a few alternate perspectives on the college experience, to borrow a phrase from the prospectus writers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Good question....

I got to do records (the pre-debate "funny" speech) before the presidential debate in UCD. It was an absolutely packed theatre L and I pretty much nailed the speech (as far as I could tell, maybe they were laughing politely).

The buzz was amazing, I can't help but thinking I'll never match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Anytime I tuck into a hot chicken fillet baguette after a long study session in the library, that's my favourite moment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phyrexian

errlloyd wrote: »
    Good question....

I got to do records (the pre-debate "funny" speech) before the presidential debate in UCD. It was an absolutely packed theatre L and I pretty much nailed the speech (as far as I could tell, maybe they were laughing politely).

I was there! I remember you! I was really pissed because I was in the front row and then they made the media people sit in front of me! I waited for hours urgh I should have been first! Made some friends I'm still best friends with now while I was waiting! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Vorophobe wrote: »
    Anytime I tuck into a hot chicken fillet baguette after a long study session in the library, that's my favourite moment ;)

The effort of walking to centre from the library :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

errlloyd wrote: »
    Good question....

In fairness to ya and with all things considered and I said it at the time as well (so no spoof attached). it was a funny speech and even though 'self-praise is no praise' and on more than once occasion I have come across you self praising. I would happily agree that you did in fact 'nail that speech'. Very impressive considering the audience, media and the other speakers on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

'self-praise is no praise' and on more than once occasion I have come across you self praising.

Haha, well whatever about the other moments you talked about (sorry if I came across like a dick, it was never the intention) my favourite moment in ucd was hardly going to be something I thought I did badly or poorly (which is why I didn't mention two elections I took part in :p)

Swimming in the... eh, you know what, never mind!

There was one time when I asked a technical maths question in a quantum mechanics class and the next time I missed class, I'm told the lecturer said "and now that Conor isn't here, we can..." Thinking about that kept me amused for a whole day.

Noam Chomsky's speech when he visited last year will probably stay with me for the rest of my life. It was brilliant.

There must have been a lot of great nights out but I can't remember... (Self-fulfilling prophecy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

My favorite UCD moment was the last day I walked out of the place knowing I'd never have to do the walk back into it every again.

Speaking of 'moment's' I'll never forget on my first introductory day being taken to the computer science main lecture hall and the head of school making a speech which included recounting a story of a former UCD student who sued the university for some untold reason and him pronouncing that if we had some problems better to come to him first before it got legal or something to that effect. I recall thinking at the time that this was the most disgusting introductory speech I had ever heard to anything in my life and it was only as the year progressed that I saw the abysmal standards at UCD did I understand why such a statement was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

For me, it's just got to be WorldAid Society's extremely bizarre but wholly wonderful Murder Mystery events (one in conjunction with ELS and one with Filmsoc). No question.

Two years ago we wound up getting chased through campus by 'The Creature of the UCD Lake' (AKA the society's Auditor in a tiger onesie and Guy Fawkes mask).
    We ran for our lives, screamed like banshees, received SUCH confused looks from people casually smoking outside the library.

Last year-... Oh god, last year... It was Slenderman... He was everywhere..
    We ran for our lives, screamed like banshees, received SUCH confused looks from people casually smoking outside the library. Again.

Not for the faint hearted. Or the slightly asthmatic.. Good times.

Advertisement