Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating savings

Options
  • 03-08-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Quick one lads. On a kerosene heating system, Does turning off rads save on fuel consumption? If 4 rads are knocked off in a house with 8 rads will it affect how much kerosene is burned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Quick one lads. On a kerosene heating system, Does turning off rads save on fuel consumption? If 4 rads are knocked off in a house with 8 rads will it affect how much kerosene is burned?

YES
    Its the same as boiling a full kettle apposed to half a kettle = less energy used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

no because the heat load demand of the property does not change. so you will still use the same amount of kero to heat the entire house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

dathi wrote: »
    no because the heat load demand of the property does not change. so you will still use the same amount of kero to heat the entire house.

But he's not trying to heat the entire house. Boiler runs and heates up quicker and switches off quicker, useing less oil. He won't cut the consumption in half with 4 rads apposed to 8 or heat the whole house but there will be a lower consumption of oil.
    Whats the point of a zoned heating system shutting off half of the rads if it doesn't cut running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Cheers lads. I had a solid fuel stove fitted so i plan to knock off the rad in the sitting room and one or 2 others that wont affect comfort for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Cheers lads. I had a solid fuel stove fitted so i plan to knock off the rad in the sitting room and one or 2 others that wont affect comfort for anyone.

+1 what scudo2 said. You should also stick a few TRVs on the other rads and turn down the rooms you dont use often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Dtp79 wrote: »
    +1 what scudo2 said. You should also stick a few TRVs on the other rads and turn down the rooms you dont use often

I had to google trv. Good idea though. must look into it

Advertisement