Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I actually sing?

Options
  • 02-08-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I play guitar and I would love to be able to sing. I can get lessons at my school i I would like 10 30minute classes for 180euro.
    I'm going to be honest I am not a good singer, as i hve be told and herd myself, but is it a waist of money getting lessons, do you have to have some singing ability or good voice, or can yo learn to sing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DimeSlime

Every one has the ability to sing you probably don't know your range or style just yet you need to get a proper teacher and really knuckle down and try every genre

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MusicLifeMan

DimeSlime wrote: »
    Every one has the ability to sing you probably don't know your range or style just yet you need to get a proper teacher and really knuckle down and try every genre

Is there any good books/websites to learn or is it best to get a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

To be honest, you're better off getting a teacher. A book cannot tell you if you're doing a technique right or not. Its not like a guitar where if you break a string, you can just replace it. You only have one voice, so do it properly.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

DimeSlime wrote: »
    Every one has the ability to sing

I would disagree with that. Why do you think that is the case? Some people are tone-deaf. Others simply cannot sing in tune, or 'hold a note'. Some techniques can be taught, but not all. Not everyone can sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Hi OP

I definitely recommend doing a term of lessons with a teacher. Bring your own choices for songs to sing, but be open to theirs too. You should improve a fair bit over the first term, mainly due to your new focus / understanding of all the technical aspects. But in terms of becoming a performer, it could take years if you're starting from scratch. But don't get discouraged. Do it as long as you enjoy it. Also, as lessons are once a week, try compliment them by joining a choir. Most music schools run both private lessons and choir sessions, and usually offer a discount if doing both.

I found Singing for Dummies to be a great book to supplement lessons

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 leahwechat

Everything is possible,just have a try.

Advertisement