Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trojan Donkey - PJ Gallagher and Jim-Jim Nugent in the UK?

Options
  • 02-08-2013 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭

TrojanDonkey.jpg

How I miss this, and I'm kinda glad I did!

It's not enough that PJ Gallagher's Jake Stevens character was a one-joke pony.... but they've now adapted it for the UK market, and he's brought along Jim Jim Nugent with him.

Here's all 5 episodes.. don't think I could make it through one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, I stumbled on this a few weeks ago It went out at 11.40pm with very little promotion. I wasn't impressed. An odd commission by Channel 4.
    Trojan Donkey is a new hidden camera comedy that shows us how funny life can be when we think no one is watching.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/brand-new-sketch-show-for-c4-trojan-donkey-hidden-in-plain-sight

Ironically, given the graveyard slot it was broadcast in, no-one was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seen an ad for this starting tomorrow night on RTE 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Seen an ad for this starting tomorrow night on RTE 2
    Wow.

So RTE really IS broke.

Well, at least we've still got 'reeling in the years...'

God Bless you Steely Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I can hear the 'flush' from here as this series circles the bowl.
    First the beeb inexplicably gives Jason Byrne a show and now P.J. Gallagher crosses the pond... who knew that the talent pool had grown so shallow over here that these 'jokers' are seen as poachable?

Perhaps UTV can give Byrne and Gallagher their own meta sitcom together about two painfully unfunny comedians that sit about watching old VHS tapes of Don't Feed the Gondolas and laughing at their own jokes.

I'm assuming that this is another of those poor hidden camera type shows and as such it's an easy pick up for any network. You can shoot it on the cheap and post production is ridiculously fast compared to most

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

As if Mrs. Browns Boys hadn't shamed the nation enough.

Brendan O'Carroll, PJ Gallagher, Jason Byrne, Jim Nugent should he tried for treason!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

At least, the Trojan Donkey is marginally better than the Tubridy Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Last nights episode was good, really liked the new characters Gallagher has introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

At least, the Trojan Donkey is marginally better than the Tubridy Show!

Another random post, eh...? :o:o:o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

What did ye think of last night's episode?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

conorhal wrote: »
    I can hear the 'flush' from here as this series circles the bowl.
    First the beeb inexplicably gives Jason Byrne a show and now P.J. Gallagher crosses the pond... who knew that the talent pool had grown so shallow over here that these 'jokers' are seen as poachable?

Perhaps UTV can give Byrne and Gallagher their own meta sitcom together about two painfully unfunny comedians that sit about watching old VHS tapes of Don't Feed the Gondolas and laughing at their own jokes.

Another of our "talented" comedians, Andrew Maxwell has crossed the pond as well. Hopefully, he'll stay there.

I watched the two episodes of Trojan Donkey on the RTE player this morning unaware that the series had been commissioned by Channel 4 and I was thinking what the fcuk are RTE doing producing another series of Naked Camera under a different name and in Scotland? Absolute shite except for the traveller in the tattoo parlour wanting to get the bible tattoed on his back, that was funny. :D

zetalambda wrote: »
    Another of our "talented" comedians, Andrew Maxwell has crossed the pond as well. Hopefully, he'll stay there.

I watched the two episodes of Trojan Donkey on the RTE player this morning unaware that the series had been commissioned by Channel 4 and I was thinking what the fcuk are RTE doing producing another series of Naked Camera under a different name and in Scotland? Absolute shite except for the traveller in the tattoo parlour wanting to get the bible tattoed on his back, that was funny. :D

Is Trojan Donkey any worse than Trigger Happy TV by Dom Jolly?.

Trigger Happy TV was genuinely good, though... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

Yes, yes it is worse, far worse. Mind you half of the problem are the Scots. What a dour lot.

As for Jason Byrne, a children's cancer ward is funnier (as in not very funny at all, just before the high horse brigade come galloping through)

mis
    Nixer Jim wrote: »
    Yes, yes it is worse, far worse. Mind you half of the problem are the Scots. What a dour lot.

As for Jason Byrne, a children's cancer ward is funnier (as in not very funny at all, just before the high horse brigade come galloping through)

Explain to me how Trigger Happy TV was any better .

Last nights episode of Trojan Donkey was good . Gallagher was very creative in his ideas and his improvisation with his victims was impressive . You got to admit he has good acting ability if anything else . He is sharp in his responses to his victims . The guy who he sent to buy him a suit, and when he asked what was his size . He said he didn't know and he started to measure himself with pens and got him to draw an outline of himself on the wall while using masking tape, which seemed a bit perverted . How can you not find that funny?. A lot of thought went in to that skit from Gallagher . It wasn't some cheap gag like Trigger Happy TV where a gets in an elevator and there is a guy dressed in a prisoner outfit tied to an electric chair.Where as Gallagher doesn't rely on cheap gags, He actually has to get in to character and perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I taught it was good. I got board of Jake Stevens on naked camera, but measuring his arm with a pen was funny.

Explain to me how Trigger Happy TV was any better .

Well, why don't you watch it for yourself?

Loads of clips on YouTube...

:o:o:):);)

As if Mrs. Browns Boys hadn't shamed the nation enough.

Brendan O'Carroll, PJ Gallagher, Jason Byrne, Jim Nugent should he tried for treason!!

How can you not find Trojan Donkey funny?.

How can you not find Trojan Donkey funny?.

I hate to ask this - but don't you respect the opinions of those who do not find it funny? :o:o:o

I hate to ask this - but don't you respect the opinions of those who do not find it funny? :o:o:o

Of course I do . I just think people are being overly critical of PJ Gallagher . His show while not great is still decent.

• Advertisement

Of course I do . I just think people are being overly critical of PJ Gallagher . His show while not great is still decent.

But you suggested that it was no worse than Trigger Happy TV - which, as I've already said, was genuinely good and justifiably received plenty of critical acclaim...

But you suggested that it was no worse than Trigger Happy TV - which, as I've already said, was genuinely good and justifiably received plenty of critical acclaim...

Sorry, I meant Fool Britannia. I haven't seen Trigger Happy TV, but I have seen Fool Britannia and I think its average.

TV critic John Boland absolutely panned it in the Independent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Jonkenji

Rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

It's a fúcking prank show and even by that it's a shíte prank show.

It's a fúcking prank show and even by that it's a shíte prank show.

What are its viewing figures like?.

Last nighs episode was hillarious . The skit where he was a taxi driver and he was crying about the elephant who ended up in hopital after getting a bananna stuck up his trunk was comical genius.

Last nighs episode was hillarious . The skit where he was a taxi driver and he was crying about the elephant who ended up in hopital after getting a bananna stuck up his trunk was comical genius.

I take it you disagree with John Boland's review, then? :o:);)

I take it you disagree with John Boland's review, then? :o:);)

That John Boland bashes everything . You can't say his opinion has merit.

• Advertisement

That John Boland bashes everything . You can't say his opinion has merit.

Charlie Brooker bashes just about everything, too, and hardly anyone slags him off for it... :o:o;);)

Advertisement