Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National ethics approval/permission for research in schools?

• 02-08-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hey everyone, hope this is the right forum...I'm working as a researcher on an international research project examining children's well-being in primary schools. I am responsible for data collection in Ireland. My question is related to wider national permission to work with students in schools.

The study involves a simple daily survey with no sensitive questions (e.g. were you happy in school today?). I will have ethical approval from a university abroad and I know that I will need permission/consent from principals and parents of the children.

My main question is do I need to get in contact with and get permission from a larger national body (e.g. Department of Education or a national ethics committee) to do research on students in schools? Who should I contact? Really unsure at this stage...:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

Hi Icarus Wings

I know you're conducting international research, but who are you linked to in Ireland? HSE, Dept of Ed., a university?
    Why are you conducting this research? Or what is your role in the data collection?
    Are you writing a PhD/MA with the results?
    Are you a research assistant/fellow/post-doc/Principal investigator?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions :P, but I'm kind of at a loss on how to direct you just yet.

Whirl Esme

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Hey Whirl Esme

Thanks for your reply! Fortunately, I got in contact with a local researcher in this area and they provided me with all the details I needed to proceed! Thanks again for the interest! Mystery solved! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

Great news! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hey Whirl Esme

Thanks for your reply! Fortunately, I got in contact with a local researcher in this area and they provided me with all the details I needed to proceed! Thanks again for the interest! Mystery solved! :)

Care to share any of that information with us?

It might be beneficial to some people in the future (myself included :)).

Advertisement