Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

National ethics approval/permission for research in schools?

• 02-08-2013 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ Icarus Wings

Hey everyone, hope this is the right forum...I'm working as a researcher on an international research project examining children's well-being in primary schools. I am responsible for data collection in Ireland. My question is related to wider national permission to work with students in schools.

The study involves a simple daily survey with no sensitive questions (e.g. were you happy in school today?). I will have ethical approval from a university abroad and I know that I will need permission/consent from principals and parents of the children.

My main question is do I need to get in contact with and get permission from a larger national body (e.g. Department of Education or a national ethics committee) to do research on students in schools? Who should I contact? Really unsure at this stage...:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭ WhirlEsme

Hi Icarus Wings

I know you're conducting international research, but who are you linked to in Ireland? HSE, Dept of Ed., a university?
    Why are you conducting this research? Or what is your role in the data collection?
    Are you writing a PhD/MA with the results?
    Are you a research assistant/fellow/post-doc/Principal investigator?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions :P, but I'm kind of at a loss on how to direct you just yet.

Whirl Esme

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ Icarus Wings

Hey Whirl Esme

Thanks for your reply! Fortunately, I got in contact with a local researcher in this area and they provided me with all the details I needed to proceed! Thanks again for the interest! Mystery solved! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭ WhirlEsme

Great news! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭ Tom Dunne

Hey Whirl Esme

Thanks for your reply! Fortunately, I got in contact with a local researcher in this area and they provided me with all the details I needed to proceed! Thanks again for the interest! Mystery solved! :)

Care to share any of that information with us?

It might be beneficial to some people in the future (myself included :)).

Advertisement