Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Scarface" Reboot

• 02-08-2013 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭ Tindie

Brian De Palma's 1983 movie Scarface isn't the type of film you want to follow up with a reboot, but according to The Dissolve, that is exactly what Harry Potter director David Yates is considering. Yes, technically De Palma's film was a remake itself of Howard Hawks' 1932 film of the same name, but it's still a strange thought—why a reboot when you can just watch the older version that has been so iconic and influtential?

Anyway, apparently this project has been in the works at Universial for a while now, and the current draft of the script is said to be "very high" on their development list. Should talks with Yates go well, it's possible this film could be in the works relatively soon.

Deadline also added this important note about the project:

This is not a remake or sequel but a reboot of a crime kingpin who through a ruthless campaign of ambition goes in hot pursuit of his American Dream – whatever that is in this decade. Ethnicity and geography were important in the first two versions so expect the same here.
    The way this is worded is interesting—specifying that it's not a remake, and that the location/ethnicity of the characters is important seems to suggest that Yates' version could change the setting and a lot of the plot/backstory, which would, in a way, make it its own film. After all, the 1932 version of the film was set in Chicago, whereas De Palma's 1983 version was in Miami.

Since there are no story details it's hard to tell what they actually have planned, but even if Yates' version ends up being different than the previous two, the thought is still an uncomfortable one. Casting someone who can give a perfomance that matches up to Al Pacino's is going to be nearly impossible, and that's just the start.

Anyway, Deadline is reporting that Yates is in "final talks," which means that it's highly possible this will happen. Don't screw this up, guys.

I though this movie would one would never be rebooted but dose make we wonder is any movie SAFE from being remade or rebooted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭ Nervous Wreck

I thought Scarface was crap tbh. Still shouldn't be rebooted though, as there is zero point in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭ MJ23

They could get Elijah Wood to play Tony Montana.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭ Outkast_IRE

MJ23 wrote: »
    They could get Elijah Wood to play Tony Montana.
    Say Hello to my little Friend
    tumblr_lksgonvHis1qgutswo1_1280.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 blatantrereg

Scarface itself is a reboot. The original 1932 film was about Al Capone - whose nickname was Scarface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭ The Narrator

At one point I quite enjoyed Scarface (think I was 14 at the time).

Couldn't care less if they reboot it, it's certainly not untouchable.

Just wish they would get out of this whole reboot phase and fund original films, it's not as if there aren't any new ideas out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ WatchWolf

Is the term "reboot" not used in regard to franchises? Batman was "rebooted" (same characters, different story).

Has it become the case that "remake" carries such negative connotations, that studios have loosened "reboot" because it sounds sexier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭ Knob Longman

Brilliant film, Its possible the re-boot could contain a Mexican drug dealer as its star character because the other two films followed what was happening at the time and look at Mexico and the trafficking nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 Jason Todd

If they use a character called Tony Montana, and just use some themes from the De Palma film they might pull in some punters, but if they are going to directly reference it and use it in the marketing then they are on a hiding to nothing imo. The whole reboot/remake for Scarface is pointless anyway, Pacino made it impossible to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 longshanks

Just think how bad the soundtrack will be if it is remade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ Potential-Monke

Just make Grand Theft Auto: Vice City into a movie, keeping the same actors, and most definitely the soundtrack, and call it Scarface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭ Outkast_IRE

longshanks wrote: »
    Just think how bad the soundtrack will be if it is remade.
    Get Giorgio Moroder back and it would be grand, the man did great work on that soundtrack as well as countless other movies like Midnight Express which he won an academy award for.

And his visibility is very high at the moment due to his collaboration on the new daft punk album.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭ squonk

So somebody in the studio noticed that Breaking Bad is doing very well for itself and thought "Hmm... how can we latch onto that... Oh yeah, we'll remake Scarface!". As far as I'm concerned, Breaking Bad is the modern Scarface reboot. I'm not that interested in another film to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 FloatingVoter

squonk wrote: »
    So somebody in the studio noticed that Breaking Bad is doing very well for itself and thought "Hmm... how can we latch onto that... Oh yeah, we'll remake Scarface!". As far as I'm concerned, Breaking Bad is the modern Scarface reboot. I'm not that interested in another film to be honest!

Even Vince Gilligan admitted Breaking Bad was "from Mr Chips to Scarface" as the shows overall arc. Any "reboot" will wind up being compared unfavourably to the Pacino barnstormer or the subtle plotting of Breaking Bad.
    Reboots are for sci-fi / superhero flicks and they work amazingly well when done properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Sad Professor

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Is the term "reboot" not used in regard to franchises? Batman was "rebooted" (same characters, different story).

Has it become the case that "remake" carries such negative connotations, that studios have loosened "reboot" because it sounds sexier?

Perhaps. It may also mean that they seen this a potential franchise rather than a standalone film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭ Technocentral

I thought Scarface was crap tbh. Still shouldn't be rebooted though, as there is zero point in doing so.

Completely agree, its really popular with mafia types, serial killers and other scumbags, reprehensible thrash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ Potential-Monke

So Leonardo DiCaprio is going to take up the iconic role, and it's due for release next year.

Very big shoes to fill, even if you didn't like the 80's film, you know that role was perfectly cast. I think with Leo, they might do it. They're using the same story, but it's being set in 2016, so a modern Scarface. Should be interesting, especially seeing as Leo is in it. He's acting gold at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭ NachoBusiness

Completely agree, its really popular with mafia types, serial killers and other scumbags, reprehensible thrash.

lol.

Scarface is easily one of the greatest films of all time, if not the greatest.

Each and every scene is a classic, which is why they have all, without exception, produced many memorable quotes, such were their, and it's, genius. It captured a certain time in America beautifully. Which is why we often hear people whinge and say it has aged. What they fail to understand is a film ageing is not always a bad thing, as sometimes, that is just indicative of how well it portrayed a very specific time and a very specific mood, and without question, DePalma and Stone did just that.

From the opening Interrogation scene, almost every scene of Scarface is memorable: Freedom town scene, Dishwasher scene, Chainsaw scene, I could eat a horse scene, Don't get high on your own supply scene, I am political refuge scene, Manny gets slapped by a "lesbian" scene, Helicopter hanging scene, First you get the power scene, Porche buying scene, Babylon attempted assassination scene, Every dog has it's day scene, Caught counting cash scene, You think I'd kill two kids and a woman? scene, Bathtub / Pelican scene, Restaurant scene etc etc etc etc.

See, the problem is that Scarface has become of victim of it's own success. The sheer amount of quotes from the film which have entered into pop culture is staggering. Few films compete in that regard but the negative side of that is that is it then becomes something else and people start hating the fact that it is everywhere and constantly referenced, oftentimes by sections of society which are disliked and even despised but that should not be a reflection of the film itself. That's like detracting from Bob Marley's music because junkies are in adoration of him or judging Che Guevara because hipsters wear t-shirts with his face on it.

In any case, like most of these 'reboots' these days, I doubt it will be worth watching. I'm not against remarks/reboots per se. If they are done well, sure why not. Cape Fear, The Bird Cage two I liked but I seen a trailer for the new Point Break last night in the flicks and all I could think is why bother. It looks dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭ dark crystal

So Leonardo DiCaprio is going to take up the iconic role, and it's due for release next year.

Very big shoes to fill, even if you didn't like the 80's film, you know that role was perfectly cast. I think with Leo, they might do it. They're using the same story, but it's being set in 2016, so a modern Scarface. Should be interesting, especially seeing as Leo is in it. He's acting gold at the moment!

That's a fake story as far as I know. The Stately Harold is a satirical website known for making up fake stories (That's where this story was lifted from) - there's been no such announcement from Universal.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭ Ralf and Florian

Can they cut all this "rebooting" baloney and have some original ideas for a change?Yes,I know Scarface was itself inspired by a movie from the 30s but every second Hollywood movie coming out in recent years seems to be a lazy ripjigging of something from 20/30 or even 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ El Rifle

Can they cut all this "rebooting" baloney and have some original ideas for a change?Yes,I know Scarface was itself inspired by a movie from the 30s but every second Hollywood movie coming out in recent years seems to be a lazy ripjigging of something from 20/30 or even 10 years ago.

No they can't. The term 'franchise' is cool now. As long as China likes it, its good enough for everyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭ Sugarlumps

The original was okay, couldn't stand Pfeiffer's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ thevinylword

Gah. Are they not taking chances on original scripts as much any more or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭ angryIreGamer

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The original was okay, couldn't stand Pfeiffer's character.

you are thinking of the 1983 Scarface, a remake of the original 1930s film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins

Scarface is alright. It's terribly over rated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Marty McFly

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Scarface is alright. It's terribly over rated!

I think it's more a victim of its own success.

I know when I watched it through fresh eyes I loved it, now I watch it I do at times find it hard to separate from all the popular culture crap that has fawned over it to much thus taking the gloss off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75,375 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

http://www.thewrap.com/coen-brothers-bring-back-scarface/

Aug. 10, 2018 release date

Diego Luna rumoured for lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭ Lorelli!

I wish they wouldnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,933 ✭✭✭✭ TerrorFirmer

Not particularly fussed if they do or don't, but Diego Luna I thought was terrible in Rogue One, no presence or charisma at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Fysh

Not particularly fussed if they do or don't, but Diego Luna I thought was terrible in Rogue One, no presence or charisma at all.

To be fair to him, I'd put that down to script limitations than Luna being bad - he was very good in leading roles in both Y Tu Mamá Tambien and Rudo Y Cursi. He was also good in a smaller role in Milk, amongst others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭ Effects

you are thinking of the 1983 Scarface, a remake of the original 1930s film.

You got that wrong mate. 1983 scarface is a reboot of the 1932 scarface, not a remake.

Advertisement