Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Forced Out Of Work

Options
  • 02-08-2013 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hey,

Not sure if this this the right place to post, if not please direct me where to go!

In a nutshell,

I'm in a company around five years now, having worked in multiple departments and roles.
    The company now have offered me (and a friend of mine in work) a contract for another job. We don't want to do the job as it's not what we want to do. We're basically being told that if we don't decide today, the two roles will be advertised first thing Tuesday morning and our current jobs will be gone.

I'm wondering what the legalities are here, can a company say: "Do this job or get out"?.

What kind of comeback to we have, redundancy? Legal action?

They want us to sign at 12:30 today, I would have asked sooner but we were originally told that we'd have the weekend to decide.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and we have full time permanent contracts as it is.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like your existing positions are redundant and hence by extension you were offered this as an alternative. If you don't accept it then it's standard redundancy process and payment (~11 weeks salary basically, 2 weeks per year of service + 1 week).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Nody wrote: »
    Sounds like your existing positions are redundant and hence by extension you were offered this as an alternative. If you don't accept it then it's standard redundancy process and payment (~11 weeks salary basically, 2 weeks per year of service + 1 week).

Not so sure about that..
    If the current role is no longer in existance and redundant, and OP has been offered suitable alternative position but turns it down, they are not entitled to redundancy.
    They are only entitled to redundancy if the alternative position can be proved to be unsuitable for them.. the fact that they want/don't want to do the work isnt really a factor..

Be careful OP..

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

bbam wrote: »
    Not so sure about that..
    If the current role is no longer in existance and redundant, and OP has been offered suitable alternative position but turns it down, they are not entitled to redundancy.
    They are only entitled to redundancy if the alternative position can be proved to be unsuitable for them.. the fact that they want/don't want to do the work isnt really a factor..

Be careful OP..

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. I think I have little choice but to sign at this stage.
    Thanks again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'd be careful to sign from s permanent to a non-permanent contract. Once the temp contract expires you'll be left with nothing no redundancy nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's probably too late, but do NOT rush into signing anything. Read this page first, and the section it's in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement