Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good cycling - waterproof jacket please

Options
  • 01-08-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for a good cycling waterproof jacket that can be folded up and taken out again if it starts raining.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've got the Altura Night Vision Elite http://goo.gl/MDnIFQ and it get but for the summer its a little warm. I also bought a cheap BBB Baseshield http://goo.gl/MNoy9L but I get just as wet wearing it as without.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I have a Regatta Lyle, it's waterproof and breathable, it's only a light jacket though but it folds in to a carrier bag so it's grand to just throw in your bag when commuting or even shove it in one of the jersey pockets. I normally wear a baselayer or a hoodie under it for the colder weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Eurocycles has this on offer at the minute.

Unfortunately there are no reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

+1 on the altura pocketrocket, has kept me completely dry in massive downpours.
    It'd be too warm (as would any completely waterproof jacket) to wear in warmer temps, then I just cycle through the rain in my cycling jersey.

The new one (in link above) looks good with new pocket on the back and hi vis arm band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The best one. /end thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

The best one. /end thread

:eek: For that money I'll just get wet or sweaty, thanks. They are having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Because you know you're worth it...
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-pocket-liner-jacket/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭squeaky crank

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Tri-radar -aren't they usually wet *before* getting on the bike? Why would you need a rain jacket :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Looking for the same thing myself, this seems to be the best one without remortgaging the house.

http://www.wiggle.com/altura-pocket-rocket-waterproof-cycling-jacket/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Thanks for all the replies. Is the pocket rocket jacket breathable??

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Supposedly it is breathable, but it does get a bit clammy in there. Great rain jacket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Tk Maxx had a few of those Altura jackets for €26.99, as well as some dare 2b ones for the same price. There were a few in Carrickmines to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Endura 'Pakajak' jackets are really good. They are tiny, roll up to the size of your fist, really light and excellent quality. When you see rolled up you think it is going to be crap but it is a proper quality piece of clothing.

Pakajak.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

BailMeOut... what kind of prices can these be got at????

Any good seller sites on same????

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Pearl izzumi pro barrier. My favourite jacket, light, good breath ability, fit and waterproof. Packs down to my jersey no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Masala wrote: »

Many thanks
    Masala wrote: »

Many thanks

I got mine at a bike shop in UK. They are expensive (40/50 pounds) but I really think they are worth it. Google and there are plenty of online sites selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Is there such thing as a rain jacket that you're not wetter inside it than outside?

(no dirty jokes please)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Is there such thing as a rain jacket that you're not wetter inside it than outside?

(no dirty jokes please)
    Have a good goretex raincoat for 20 years. More oriented toward hillwalking in design but worn it cycling too. Excellent raincoat - keeps rain out and lets sweat out too. Cost £150 as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Have a good goretex raincoat for 20 years. More oriented toward hillwalking in design but worn it cycling too. Excellent raincoat - keeps rain out and lets sweat out too. Cost £150 as far as I remember.

Have an expensive northface jacket 12 years ago. Great jacket, but leaving sweat out is a marketing myth.
    Good jackets leave out some sweat but if going balls out up Vee or shanrahan expect for jacket to be wet inside and out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have an expensive northface jacket 12 years ago. Great jacket, but leaving sweat out is a marketing myth.
    Good jackets leave out some sweat but if going balls out up Vee or shanrahan expect for jacket to be wet inside and out

Ah yes, Shanrahan. What a nice climb it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

ford2600 wrote: »
    Had mine 20 years. Used it plenty when exerting myself to various extremes. Never found sweat an issue. Would be pretty sure your jacket is not gore tex.
    Here is a "good" Northface jacket - if good means 240 yoyos for a nylon jacket:

http://ie.thenorthface.com/tnf-ie-en/men-s/shop-by-category/jackets/waterproof-jackets/men-s-leonidas-jacket-2.html

Here are jackets that will let you be dry:

http://www.gore-tex.com/products/men/outerwear/jackets/cycling/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

No that's not my jacket and it is gortex.
    Maybe you don't sweat much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Castelli Gabba. Its so good half the peloton used them during the giro, even the teams sponsored by other clothing manufactures.

Waterproof, windproof, fully breathable and form fitting. If I had to get a new jacket tomorrow, there would be only one choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jillette

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Castelli Gabba. Its so good half the peloton used them during the giro, even the teams sponsored by other clothing manufactures.

Waterproof, windproof, fully breathable and form fitting. If I had to get a new jacket tomorrow, there would be only one choice for me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement