Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what exactly is PC Fix Speed?

Options
  • 01-08-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hey fellaz,

a program called PC Fix Speed showed on my laptop yesterday. It says it can make my computer work way faster than before. I did not start the program, because it seemed fishy, as I don't remember installing it.

But if it is a virus, as I suspect, then why didn't Avast warn me of it?

So now my question is: Is PC Fix Speed a legit program or not, either way how can i remove it permanently? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Listed as Malware, download and run something like Spybot search & destroy or Malwarebytes, do an update, scan and remove

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Racoony

Yeah, it turned out to be an infection as I suspected, however I still don't get it why Avast did not catch it. I guess antivirus programs do not stop any infection :/

However, I did some searching and I read an article http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/pc-fix-speed-removal that says that a special tool is needed for the removal of this thing. So now I am going to download http://www.malwarebytes.org as you advised me to and I hope it works.
    Thanks a lot! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Racoony wrote: »
    hey fellaz,
    But if it is a virus, as I suspect, then why didn't Avast warn me of it?

A virus scanner can only detect what it knows. This must have been a new exploit which your virus scanner didn't pick up. The best "anti-virus" is keeping your web browser, plugins (Flash, Java etc.), Windows and all up to date. And obviously being careful with attachments, avoid visiting "dodgy" websites (not so legal sports/film streaming ones, downloading warez etc..)

Nick

Advertisement