Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress over renting a house

Options
  • 01-08-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey,

This is just a question towards those who have previously rented/lived in a house..

I was just wondering what the average cost of heating and electricity is when it comes to renting a 3 bed house?

Most of the houses I've been looking at don't include these bills in the monthly rent charge so I'm basically trying to work out how cheap the house will have to be so that adding the other bills on will be financially possible for me..poor student here :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

A2533 wrote: »
    Hey,

This is just a question towards those who have previously rented/lived in a house..

I was just wondering what the average cost of heating and electricity is when it comes to renting a 3 bed house?

Most of the houses I've been looking at don't include these bills in the monthly rent charge so I'm basically trying to work out how cheap the house will have to be so that adding the other bills on will be financially possible for me..poor student here :D

Hi A2533!
    I rented a house last year with two other students! Our house was an old enough house and was heated by oil! Now this was a bit of a pain as the house was old it was often difficult to heat. Often with old houses instillation wouldn't be great so if you can try and get a newer house it would be better/cheaper. For the oil we were putting in €150 between us ever I think 3 months. Bearing in mind two of my house mates would go home at the weekends for work etc and I was working long enough hours at the weekends so was barely there.

For electricity I think it worked out at €80 every two months between the three of us. Word of warning is to make sure that the bills you receive are readings and not estimates! We got stung with our final bill as some bills had been estimates and not proper readings. Also if you pay late they can fine you so make sure to be organised and pay on time!

Do the houses you have looked at provide an internet connection / wifi? if they don't hold out until September as the likes of o2 do some good value broadband deals. Last year they did this wifi dongle for €10 and I think we got 15gbs!

Any other questions fire away :)
    Mugatuu

• Registered Users Posts: 27 A2533

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Hi A2533!
    I rented a house last year with two other students! Our house was an old enough house and was heated by oil! Now this was a bit of a pain as the house was old it was often difficult to heat. Often with old houses instillation wouldn't be great so if you can try and get a newer house it would be better/cheaper. For the oil we were putting in €150 between us ever I think 3 months. Bearing in mind two of my house mates would go home at the weekends for work etc and I was working long enough hours at the weekends so was barely there.

For electricity I think it worked out at €80 every two months between the three of us. Word of warning is to make sure that the bills you receive are readings and not estimates! We got stung with our final bill as some bills had been estimates and not proper readings. Also if you pay late they can fine you so make sure to be organised and pay on time!

Do the houses you have looked at provide an internet connection / wifi? if they don't hold out until September as the likes of o2 do some good value broadband deals. Last year they did this wifi dongle for €10 and I think we got 15gbs!

Any other questions fire away :)
    Mugatuu

Thank you so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Find out what the BER rating is. There's a good explaination here: http://www.daft.ie/building-energy-rating-ber

Also, this should be moved to a more relevant forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A BER isn't worth the paper it is written on. The Sunday times got 3 different BERs done and they all varied greatly.

Make sure the house is heated by gas and that the boiler is condensing( all boiler that are 5 years old or newer are condensing and saves 25% on bills). Make sure everything in the kitchen such as washing machine, fridge are new other wise they will be electricity hunger.

Advertisement