Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Boots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I know literally nothing about rugby boots, but a quick google search found this:

https://www.footbalance.com/blog/footbalances-tips-choosing-rugby-boots#.UfpFMtLVD3Q
    As forwards rely on lower body strength for power in scrums, they need extra support around the ankle to help prevent foot injuries.

Kickers prefer a tight-fitting boot because it gives them a better feel for the ball, while props like a high ankle cut for extra support in scrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've never seen a player at a decent level wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Boots with higher ankle protection like those in the link are pretty rare today as players tend wear ankle supports and to be honest they give lots of protection plus they allow for better movement. The more modern boot still goes higher than a soccer boot just not as high as the older type; from a distance they do look similar to a soccer boot. Some players opt to wear shinguards which again offer good protection if needed.

Another reason why you don't see them much is that the modern game sees tighter scrummaging and mauling. This makes ankles less prone to being stood or kicked by opposing players and thus less in need of protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

I'm not even sure if you can get them any-more, I used to work in the Leinster Rugby Store and we could only ever get them from Kooga and that was with great difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Have you considered a pair of ankle shields?

I picked these up and they're great. They don't restrict movement, provide good protection and are a lot lighter then full ankle boots.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    Have you considered a pair of ankle shields?

I picked these up and they're great. They don't restrict movement, provide good protection and are a lot lighter then full ankle boots.

Wow that price is a bargain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Sorry in advance for hijacking this thread! But going to pick up a new pair of boots this weekend, and I'm trying decide between the club level Incurza or the RS7s. Anyone have any experience with either? I'll probably be playing on the wing mostly, but if I can bulk up a little more I'd like to move into center, so don't want to be pidgeon hole myself with having a pair of boots just for running like the RS7s. So right now I'm leaning towards the Incurza's... They're cheaper, too!

RS7
    PDR002001D84.jpg

Incurza
    PDR002001D79.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Picked these babies up for a tenner brand new in a charity shop in town... I like em, but you wouldn't want to be running too fast in em - there's zero give in the sole.

430650_3285533572399_1292634307_n.jpg

.ak wrote: »
    Sorry in advance for hijacking this thread! But going to pick up a new pair of boots this weekend, and I'm trying decide between the club level Incurza or the RS7s. Anyone have any experience with either? I'll probably be playing on the wing mostly, but if I can bulk up a little more I'd like to move into center, so don't want to be pidgeon hole myself with having a pair of boots just for running like the RS7s. So right now I'm leaning towards the Incurza's... They're cheaper, too!

15ox8ya.jpg

Get those!

Morf wrote: »
    15ox8ya.jpg

Get those!

Cool, why do ya reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd stay away from the RS7. Firm ground mouldies are grand for the summer, not for the winter when you need studs. Incurzas would be my shout

Cool, why do ya reckon?

£80 + delivery.

Lots of rugby players wearing them the end of last season.

1z1tqbd.jpg

£130 plus delivery on lovell rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jesus Ak, I've warned ya. But they'll be expecting the junior rugby version of Shane Williams if you turn up in them :D

Jesus Ak, I've warned ya. But they'll be expecting the junior rugby version of Shane Williams if you turn up in them :D

Funnily enough,I can't find a decent or less flash pair cheaper than the incurza. I want a pair that'll last too. Even the 'classic' range from Adidas is more expensive.

RS7
    PDR002001D84.jpg

Incurza
    PDR002001D79.jpg

My two cents here lads, I used the RS7's last year and have never worn a more uncomfortable boot in my career, I play on the wing so speed is a must that was my reason for getting them, I had used the Puma v.10's before that and this season I will be going back to them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

what is the cheapest RS7 on the market?

backgreen wrote: »
    what is the cheapest RS7 on the market?

The TRX range I think.

I'll try the incurza's tomorrow, at the 60euro range they seem affordable and look more comfortable than the RS7s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Baltrux wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone here played with the ankle boots, thinking of trying but don't know anyone who's ever worn them, I play no3 so thought they might be a better boot than the nornal!
    (http://www.sportsdirect.com/patrick-power-x-hi-top-mens-rugby-boots-141036)

All the top props wear addidas...look at pictures of mike ross dan cole and adam jones all wear addidas..think its for a reason. Also get longer sruds if your propping

Adidas do good forward boots, the Flanker in particular, not seen them do an ankle boot though, I'd steer clear of the link you posted here though, they look very cheap and I've never heard of the brand. 19/21mm studs when the winter months roll in. 21mm are touch and go with some referees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

RS7
    PDR002001D84.jpg

Incurza
    PDR002001D79.jpg

In my opinion the rs7s are the better option there but thats just me, ive been wearing the orange ones from a few seasons ago for the last while and i play in the pack, great boots imho, really light and just flashy enough haha....unfortunately if you're looking for durability adidas' takedown models isnt where you want to be looking as they dont hold up too well, you're best bet is to have a flick through lovell's sale section if you're looking for a decent pair of boots for a good price, some real gems in there, not upto date or anything but a good boot from last season is still a good boot, just my two cents anyway, happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

blackdog1 wrote: »
    All the top props wear addidas...think its for a reason

Yes it is.

€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

its_phil wrote: »
    Yes it is.

€€€€

awful cynical view but you're entitled to it, but imo the adidas kakari is an excellent boot thats purposely designed for tight 5 forwards and unlike most boots of that ilk they actually put a bit of effort into making them look nice...theyre a durable boot that are great for forwards and they dont look like sh#t...i think that could be the reason forwards wear them

A lot of props wearing the Asics Lethal Warno II. Very lightweight.

Can't go too far wrong with Mizuno Timaru, they even have a mid-**** version that might suit the OP.

Pro Direct Soccer is the place to look for cheap back boots. Their sister site Pro Direct Rugby hasn't been updated and looks rubbish AND charges more in postage than PD Soccer. Just click on "Clearance" and stick in your size.

Lovell Rugby is pretty good too but much less choice in sale boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know the model, but I picked up a pair of canterbury boots for 50 in Elvery's at the start of last season and they've been great. Didn't need any breaking in and lasted well.

They're black though, which may be a bit too old school for some of you, judging by this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well as we all know, coloured boots detract attention away from the core making it harder for the defender. Imperative for a winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Hagz wrote: »
    Well as we all know, coloured boots detract attention away from the core making it harder for the defender. Imperative for a winger.

The one thing I took away from that Tommy Bowe doc - when I take up rugby I need bright orange boots :P

decisions wrote: »
    The one thing I took away from that Tommy Bowe doc - when I take up rugby I need bright orange boots :P

I posted some above for you too! ;)

I picked up the cheap incurzas. They were just so comfortable and they were the right price. Will post on how well they perform/last!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Coloured boots always made you a target in my youthful days of playing sport. :D

Advertisement