Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym exercises for squash?

Options
  • 01-08-2013 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

What exercises would be good in the gym for squash?
    I am doing lunges, squats, 1 leg squats, calf raises, ankle rolls, dead lift and skipping for legs.
    I do flies, reverse flies, chin ups, bench press, shoulder press, skull crushers, bicep curls, some stuff for rotator cuff, and abs stuff.
    I stretch twices a week and visit the gym twice a week.
    I play squash 3 or 4 hrs a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Squash sportwise would be similar to racquetball and when I trained with the junior irish team we didnt use a gym but we did do a lot of strength work, but also agility is more important.

We did
    Lunges with weights.
    Steps.
    Skipping
    push up
    sit ups
    standing on a plant with your toes.

Agility stuff we did a lot of work on the ladders.. more than strength work and built strength that way. Theres a huge variety of drills you can do and you can make them up yourself
    Doing sprint suicides (run to each line and back touching the lines) in the court was also a good way to build up agility and a good way to get used to the game taking small breaks in between each set to mimic the break between serves.

No point in doing all that strength work for a game like squash if you're not going to do more agility work.
    You're more than half way there in squash if you're fast and agile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

garv123 wrote: »
    Squash sportwise would be similar to racquetball and when I trained with the junior irish team we didnt use a gym but we did do a lot of strength work, but also agility is more important.

We did
    Lunges with weights.
    Steps.
    Skipping
    push up
    sit ups
    standing on a plant with your toes.

Agility stuff we did a lot of work on the ladders.. more than strength work and built strength that way. Theres a huge variety of drills you can do and you can make them up yourself
    Doing sprint suicides (run to each line and back touching the lines) in the court was also a good way to build up agility and a good way to get used to the game taking small breaks in between each set to mimic the break between serves.

No point in doing all that strength work for a game like squash if you're not going to do more agility work.
    You're more than half way there in squash if you're fast and agile.

Standing on plant with your toes, any good videos on YouTube you could recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

abceire wrote: »
    Standing on plant with your toes, any good videos on YouTube you could recommend.

meant a plank oops. :o

We had a length of 2x4 wood and we had to side step across it on our tippy toes. Really feel it in your calves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I tried these with skipping, it burnsssssssssss!

Advertisement