Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange event, open to opinions.

Options
  • 01-08-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

The usual disclaimer: I'm usually skeptical and even cynical to hear of paranormal events, and will always look for logical answers and reasoning ...

but I experienced a strange one earlier this evening, and can't explain it away (objectively).

In short:

I was at an event, kind of a social mixer at a bar in town. Some old faces, some new, and a friend was presenting me to some others. Typical night.

One guy arrived and I got around to him to say hi. I offered my hand (as I've done with probably multiple hundreds of people in my life, and what happened next had 'never' happened before.

On locking hands and making eye contact, I was instantly hit with what can only be described was a mix of fear and repulsion, from somewhere in the back of my mind - with the hairs on my wrist and arm sticking up, and some sort of force nearly rejecting his hand. It was honestly a sensation I've never experienced before - and I know it wasn't static electricity.

I didn't want to be obvious, but no doubt he realised some reaction, so I just laughed it off and went to the bar. I had no alcohol taken before this by the way.

Only then one of my friends came up and quietly mentioned to keep my distance from the person I'd just shaken hands with - but I didn't ask for a back story.

Was it some form of warning system?

I've described it as best as I can, and I wouldn't gain anything from making this up - so help me with some logical explanations.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

It sounds like a warning, probably your gut instinct telling you there wasn't something right about the guy. It's not that odd really you probably sensed something really off about him or about something he either did or was capable of doing. Sometimes bad deeds give off a lot of negative energy (hence so many hauntings or just bad ju-ju in places that have a bad reputation because of murder / etc) and even if you aren't that sensitive to picking up energy day to day it was strong enough to alert you.

I know a girl who got that same feeling a while back and long story short he had actually tracked her down purposefully and wasn't in the right mind at all, he was into black magik too ..I'm not saying that magik is a bad thing but like anything you can abuse it and he was using it to pretty much spiritually stalk her, in the end she had to get help ridding herself of whatever he sent after her. Voodoo can be quite similar and there are plenty of cases where someone has been attacked or influenced even in the UK and Europe, I know skeptics will say that's rubbish but if you get enough people together and focus enough psychic power on one person then a psychic attack is a real danger, he was doing something very similar to her and she said the same thing about the hair standing up on her arm the day they met.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Its called your instincts. We haven't lost all our animal prowess.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Thanks for the replies guys.

You've mentioned gut instinct and gut feel, but I know what that is, as I've rightly (and wrongly) judged people before on it. It's more conscious and based on a decision on appearance, tone of voice or body language.

But this ... was more like an actual force nearly repelling me.

As I said, have met and shaken hands with many many people, but the physical reaction has me scratching my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Would you not ask your friend why he warned you off him?

Depends on how bad this guy is. In seconds you can calculate a profile, right or wrong, for a person.

When its really bad, like danger bad, fight or flight kicks in. Now since we are social and less impulsive beings you dont automatically bolt from the bar or kick him in the stomach but you get that feeling that you need to get away with urgency.

What is his story anyway.

• Advertisement

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Would you not ask your friend why he warned you off him?

Wasn't the time or place, but plan to lightly bring it up tomorrow.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Paranormal explanation: In the same way that certain things that hit our senses repel us, (bad smells, loud noises) something within this guys 'aura' or 'energy' repelled you. (Using woolly terms because I dont know what to call it) The curious aspect is to figure out what that thing was. Instinct? Subconscious impressions? Some kind of energy? Or something similar to what magnets with matching poles do. :)

I have heard of it before, with the feeling coming from both people, and objects.

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Wasn't the time or place, but plan to lightly bring it up tomorrow.

Ok, so an update. Had a brief chat with my friend who had invited me along to the bar.

Turns out the guy in question wasn't wanted there by anyone in particular, and had in some way or another negatively affected quite a few people in attendance, as they used to friendly with him.

Didn't ask for long back-stories, but the gist was a bit of back-stabbing, money owed and never returned, small stuff.

Just a theory, maybe I picked up on the group's collective unease at his presence there?

Not going to ponder over it much longer, but thanks for the opinions.

I don't know much about 'auras' etc (in reference to the last post).

All part of instinct. Situational awareness. You walk down an empty street and suddenly get that feeling that its not a good idea to be here because of what you see and hear around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'd say ye subconsciously picked up the negativity towards the guy, either through his body language or that of the rest of the group. Pretty cool though, and if ye ever get that intense feeling again, you'll know it's an alarm bell :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭indy_man

Any chance he is a Satanist? I am serious here, not joking? Maybe he is possessed or even perfectly possessed.

He could have a curse on him, thus bringing a mass of negative energy with him reacting with all good energy around him. He may need deliverence from this.

It does seem like opposite forces at play positive vs negative, or some may say light vs dark.

Thanks for sharing,

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Not trying to be funny here and I do believe that some people are pure
    evil but usually the most logical reason is the answer.

1) You were in a pub drinking.
    2) You were with friends who didn`t like the person in question.

Maybe one of them said something earlier about the guy that you can`t
    remember. When you bumped into the guy your brain told you that there
    was something about this guy that you should be wary of.
    Alcohol can play serious tricks on the mind.

Just my two cents wort.

Advertisement