Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danaerys question : spoilers

Options
  • 31-07-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

She's known as the unburnt, she survived the funeral pyre for Khal Drogo.

The only other attack I can think of is the assassination attempts by poison and by beetle thingy in Astapor, but in both instances she was saved by another person.

So, is she immortal, and who else might be?

For tv viewers the only other person I can think of is Beric Dondarrion, one more in the books (unless I'm missing somebody?)

MOD EDIT @ OP I have edited the title of this thread, please be careful when choosing thread titles, the title as it was implied something that non readers might have seen as a green light on this characters status in a world where GRRM kills characters for breakfast as was shown in the last series. Calex , oh as always any problems with the edit PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

GRRM said the pyre thing was a once off, the Targaryen's aren't fireproof. There's nobody that's immortal in the series as such, Beric dies and is revived but it costs him a part of himself every time, the Others can be killed and I wouldn't be suprised if he kills one of the dragons to show they're mortal too.

I always think of ASoIaF as 'realistic fantasy', nobody is invincible within the story...great knights can be defeated etc. In LoTR Aragorn's trio overcome ridiculous numerical odds but at the ToJ three of the most dangerous knights in Westeros fell to seven men, even Barristan was laid low at the Trident.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Oh sweet jebus I hope not!! :mad:

I know that was extremely eloquent but still just no :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Blay wrote: »
    GRRM said the pyre thing was a once off, the Targaryen's aren't fireproof.
    When she was trapped in the House of the Undying and her dragons freed her by toasting the magician wasn't she "in the line of fire" so to speak? Also before the dragons hatched she picked up one of the eggs which had been on the fire and didn't burn her hand. I can't remember if both of those incidents were in the books or not.
    I just assumed that, for some reason, she's immune to fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

[about Viserys] He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon.

Could be some form of mental thing that stops her getting burnt - a mad extended version of walking on hot coals - but she has come through two fires that I can remember to date in the show.

Not too sure she's immune to the old Ned Stark head chop though ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

She gets in the boiling hot bath too without so much as a whimper.

I had presumed she was immune to fire too. (at least the TV show Dany was.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

DeepBlue wrote: »
    When she was trapped in the House of the Undying and her dragons freed her by toasting the magician wasn't she "in the line of fire" so to speak? Also before the dragons hatched she picked up one of the eggs which had been on the fire and didn't burn her hand. I can't remember if both of those incidents were in the books or not.
    I just assumed that, for some reason, she's immune to fire.

Can't remember how the HoTU was done in the books but I'm pretty sure the unburnt hands was show only. Aerion Targaryen and Aegon V both died by fire.

From Westeros.org;
    Shaw: Are all the Targaryans immune to fire?

Martin: No, no Targaryans are immune to fire. The thing with Dany and the dragons, that was just a one-time magical event, very special and unique. The Targaryans can tolerate a bit more heat than most ordinary people, they like really hot baths and things like that, but that doesn't mean they're totally immune to fire, no. Dragons, on the other hand, are pretty much immune to fire.

Bit more info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭nerd69

Blay wrote: »
    Can't remember how the HoTU was done in the books but I'm pretty sure the unburnt hands was show only. Aerion Targaryen and Aegon V both died by fire.

From Westeros.org;

Bit more info

Ahh but danerys is not just a targarian she's the mother of dragons and she was prophesied to be great

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

KonFusion wrote: »
    She gets in the boiling hot bath too without so much as a whimper.

I had presumed she was immune to fire too. (at least the TV show Dany was.)

Do you think that scene is worth re-watching? You know, for research purposes?

Do you think that scene is worth re-watching? You know, for research purposes?

That scene is worth a watch for any purpose! :pac: Lovely bottom!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

book spoiler from ADWD
    Doesn't Danaerys again survive being burned in the pit at Meereen before riding off on dragonback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

book spoiler from ADWD
    Doesn't Danaerys again survive being burned in the pit at Meereen before riding off on dragonback?

Well, yes I thought so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

book spoiler from ADWD

She gets burned there though. Her hair gets singed off and her skin gets a bit blistered.

At the very least she seems resistant to fire. Dragon fire normally melts rocks and steel.
    Compared to what happened to poor Quentyn it's barely noticeable.

Advertisement