Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gear Needed for Patagonia trip Sep

• 31-07-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I am going Treking/camping in Patagonia an the Andes in Sep/Oct/Nov.
    Couple of questions, where is the best one stop shop for my gear requirements as most of the stuff i have won't be up to it. I've already had a chat to the lads in Great outdoors in Dublin city center and they were informative and knowledgeable if a little pricy.
    What do i need -
    4 season sleeping bag as the 3 season won't cut it me thinks
    Sleeping mattresse- again the yoga mat needs to be upgraded
    Stove- looking at a MSR Wisperlite
    Tent- MSR hubba
    Any help or advice on the above would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

bopbuddy wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I am going Treking/camping in Patagonia an the Andes in Sep/Oct/Nov.
    Couple of questions, where is the best one stop shop for my gear requirements as most of the stuff i have won't be up to it. I've already had a chat to the lads in Great outdoors in Dublin city center and they were informative and knowledgeable if a little pricy.
    What do i need -
    4 season sleeping bag as the 3 season won't cut it me thinks
    Sleeping mattresse- again the yoga mat needs to be upgraded
    Stove- looking at a MSR Wisperlite
    Tent- MSR hubba
    Any help or advice on the above would be appreciated:)

The only advice I could give you is to shop around, that's really the best way to get value for money, You have plenty of time to do a bit of bargain hunting between now and when you travel. Look out for end of season sales in any of the camping/outdoors places around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I find the guys in the great outdoors are great and helpful. You might be able to get gear in a few other shops like the one in Dundrum but they'll be around the same price. Decathlon may also have some useful bits for cheaper. I'd go with higher end equipment as failures in the Andes aren't easy to fix or workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bopbuddy

Thanks folks... yeah I'm leaning towards great outdoors alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Sportpursuit often has good stuff up. I wouldnt pay much attention to the RRP on the site as it often seems high, but ca be some great bargains up there. Sportsdirect have good stuff as well.

As said, the guys in the great outdoors are v helpful. To be honest most of the outdoor shops have helpful staff.

Advertisement