Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coaxial Cable for UPC - Loss of Signal

Options
  • 31-07-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Do I need a digital coaxial cable to connect from the wall socket to the back of the UPC box?
    I recently changed the coaxial cable (not marked digital coaxial cable..) and since then I'm having a problems with a couple of channels, e.g. TV3, Nick Junior and some of the HD channels. All the other channels are OK.

When a reset the box the problem is fixed for a while and then an error message is displayed saying there's a 'loss of signal' and instructs to check the connections..
    If there was a problem with the cable why aren't all the channels affected?
    Anyone see this problem before?
    Or would there be a problem with the 'F' connectors that connect the cable to the box or the wall socket?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

There's no such thing as 'digital' cable, so that isn't your problem.

Did you buy the cable with connections ready made up or did you fit the connectors yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DanJ

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    There's no such thing as 'digital' cable, so that isn't your problem.

Did you buy the cable with connections ready made up or did you fit the connectors yourself?

I fitted the connectors myself - I wound the braid around the cable as per the instructions so don't think they're fitted wrong... is there a better connector that can be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DanJ

DanJ wrote: »
    I fitted the connectors myself - I wound the braid around the cable as per the instructions so don't think they're fitted wrong... is there a better connector that can be used?

Could the connectors be the problem? The cable is behind the skirting and changing it now will be awful...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

All that can be said for certain is that your changing the cable seems to have brought on the problem. I don't know enough about UPC to know if your problem channels share a carrier frequency or anything.

I suppose it's a case of re-do the connections, change the cable or, just get someone from UPC out with test equipment & see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

DanJ wrote: »

Definitely. Crimp connectors or compression are much better than twist on types.

• Advertisement
Advertisement