Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a Radiator issue....

Options
  • 31-07-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Was wondering if anyone here can give me some advice.

I'm installing a new radiator as the old one was just over an inch from the ground. See the attached pic....

So I figured I'd need to raise up the pipe level a few inches to accommodate the new higher rad.
    When I took up the concrete I was met with a bend in the pipe below and no elbow joint.

It's an old house so maybe this was normal at the time.

I had planned to cut the black pipe back, fit an elbow joint and fit the new copper section. Would this be the correct way to go about it?

The second picture is the other side of the rad with my Stanley knife for scale. Again, about an inch or so from the floor.
    Thanks for your thoughts....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Straight forward job. But no don't fit an elbow as elbows don't allow for best flow of Water. Better to cut it back on the Straight section and use a 310 straight connector or if you have the ability fit a straight solder connector.
    Then use a new piece of Copper pipe with a 90* degree bend.
    be careful you don't mix imperial and metric copper fittings. When you cut the pipe bring it to the Plumbing shop and the lads will point you right.

The other side just needs to be extended same method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

A straight would be better but there is absolutely no harm using an elbow as the restriction here would be of little significance in the grander scheme of things. Plus it'd be a lot easier too for yourself. Make sure and cover any exposed copper with lagging or plastic as concrete will eventually rot copper that it comes in contact with

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

Thanks for the replies,
    I'd forgot that the concrete would rot the copper,
    Thanks for the advice, the new radiators are arriving today so i'll give it a go.

Advertisement