Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Activation

Options
  • 31-07-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭

I have a toshiba laptop that is used for everyday stuff like word, email web etc. it came with windows 7 and there is / was a licence key underneath. After windows was reinstalled following a virus this key wasn't accepted so I'm getting activation messages constantly. I don't usually mind this but it is really annoying if streaming something on netflix as it keeps exiting full screen to remind me to activate windows 7. The sticker with the licence key is no longer legible due to wear so I can't contact Microsoft. Is there any other way of retrieving the licence key so I can contact them and find a solution? Alternatively is there any way to permanently delete the reminders? Either solution would suit me fine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Eventually your OS will shut down. (Think they started that from vista up) If the OS isn't activated.

There are cracks of course, but I'm not going there.

I would still contact microsoft. They often can retrieve the number.
    You could try SIW If it's saved somewhere on the PC, that should show it.

Do have any back up partitions or disks that originally belonged to your PC? Those would have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yes there is a backup partition, where would I look for the licence key on there?

When you try "activating windows" what does it do? ask you to put in a number? (because that's odd and it isn't meant to)

If you can repair your windows through your back up that should solve the activation issue without losing any info. (back up just in case though).

What about a manual/box that came with the laptop?

Try SIW, it's fantastic for finding all that information.

You might went to read this article on how to use the recover partition. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-boot-into-a-recovery-partition-in-windows.navId-323028.html

When I turn on the computer it tells me my trial period has expired. You can hit either register or cancel, if you hit register it asks you for the licence key. I tried inputting it many times but got an invalid licence key message even though I know the key I have is genuine. Eventually I gave up as the os was functional so it never bothered me enough to do anything about it and I have no idea where the manual is, the laptop is four years old and I've moved house twice in that time. It's only since I started streaming stuff off netflix that its really starting to annoy me, the laptop is hooked up to the tv via hdmi and it exits full screen every 15 mins to tell me to activate windows, meaning getting up and setting it to full screen again, this could happen 5-6 times during a movie. The sticker with the licence key is now so worn I can't read it so I assume if I ring Microsoft without my key ill be told to feck off.

Will investigate using the recovery partition, thanks for your help.

The sticker with the licence key is now so worn I can't read it so I assume if I ring Microsoft without my key ill be told to feck off.

In that same post, you also said you know what the key is? and you're also assuming, they may have other ways to track it.

It should be in the recovery partition though.

• Advertisement

In that same post, you also said you know what the key is? and you're also assuming, they may have other ways to track it.

It should be in the recovery partition though.
    I did know what the key was, it was legible when i got windows reinstalled, when it wouldnt accept the key i gave up and didn't think about it again until this problem came to light. When I looked under the laptop recently to try and sort the problem once and for all I noticed the sticker had all but worn away. Will check the partition when I get home thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

You would be surprised at how many different versions of windows 7 are out there. Chances are you reinstalled a different version than what your sticker was meant for.

Try to figure out what version is on the sticker, it may not be the same as what was shipped with the machine.

whizbang wrote: »
    You would be surprised at how many different versions of windows 7 are out there. Chances are you reinstalled a different version than what your sticker was meant for.

Try to figure out what version is on the sticker, it may not be the same as what was shipped with the machine.
    Thanks. Ok see photo of the offending sticker below. As you can see the key can no longer be read. The control panel tells me I have windows 7 home premium installed so I'm guessing that should be fine?

There is actually no recovery partition, I have another laptop that I use for work that does, got confused. Anybody any ideas?

Contact toshiba using the G66 etc number, maybe they'll be able to isolate which windows key was used with that ID?

You could also try getting the motherboard number.

Toshiba may have it recorded somewhere the win key match to that motherboard. They'll probably try and sell you recovery disks too. But worth contacting them.

Interesting read/thread over here with similar problem..toshiba seems your way to go. http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-product-key-sticker-worn-off-668250-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mickeyk wrote: »
    see photo of the offending sticker below. As you can see the key can no longer be read.

Activation is required within 30 days of installing Windows 7

So you could read the license code on that sticker no problem less than 30 days ago?

265211.jpg

I find that hard to believe...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Activation is required within 30 days of installing Windows 7

So you could read the license code on that sticker no problem less than 30 days ago?

265211.jpg

I find that hard to believe...

I already explained that it wouldn't accept the code after windows was reinstalled at the time, almost two years ago, it was legible then. It didn't bother me enough to go on some sort of crusade to sort it.
    Bottom line is I bought a laptop with genuine windows software, I'm not trying to get a free or cracked copy. I accept what you are saying about the 30 days but its hardly a hanging offence.

Advertisement