Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

0% Plugged in, not charging

Options
  • 31-07-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭

Laptop Wizards!

I hope someone can come up with a resolution to this one.

My laptop is showing this message and I've tried;
    Uninstalling/Reinstalling Microsoft APCI drivers,
    Updating laptop BIOS and drivers,
    Pulling everything out, turning it off and holding the power button for 30 seconds,
    Pulling the battery out and then replacing it while the laptop is on.

When the laptop is turned off there is no sign of charging. I got over 2 hours out of the battery pack 2 days ago so I don't understand how it could just suddenly be dead.

The power adapter is new (April) although a generic one but has worked fine until this point. Battery manufacture date is stamped April 2011.

Laptop specs as below;

MSI FX420
    No warranty
    Windows 7 64 bit
    2.1GhZ i5
    6gig ram

Speccy shows normal CPU usage and temperature and battery status gives the following info;

Status - online
    Charge - 0%, 0mWh
    Conditions - 0mW, 0:00, 12.365V, 0C
    Capacity - 48840mWh (of 48840)
    Info - LION, 0 cycles, 0% wear

I'm thinking the freezer trick but at the same time I'm skeptical of it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Try this, boot up the laptop while plugged in and go into the bios and reset to factory settings and reboot. If that does not work, your battery is dead and needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

freezer trick does no harm (so long as you place the battery in a waterproof/sealed bag.) Leave it for 2 hours or so.

However, what it normally does is increase the battery usage time a little. meh.

And yes, batteries can die just that quickly.
    Rechargeable batteries only have so many times they can be charged. That's why, sometimes, if your laptop works without a battery it's suggested, that you take the battery out of the laptop and only use it when needed.

cheap batteries and chargers can be got from www.laptopcharges.ie. I've ordered from them a couple of times, no trouble as of yet .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

cheap batteries and chargers can be got from www.laptopcharges.ie. I've ordered from them a couple of times, no trouble as of yet .

amazing service,i ordered from them a couple of times,i have never got a next day delivery as they advertise,but i get my package within 5 days at great value.

i wouldnt order parts off anyone else now.

Advertisement