Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square Ball Rule

Options
  • 31-07-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Could anyone get me a copy of legislation re the square ball rule from somewhere?

Having a bit of a debate here this morning over Eugene Keating's goal chance at the weekend. My opinion is that it should have been a square ball anyway because he was in the square when Martin Dunne handpassed him the ball. My work colleague thinks the square ball rule doesn't apply at all anymore except from free kicks.

I've tried Googling but can't get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lemlin wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Could anyone get me a copy of legislation re the square ball rule from somewhere?

Having a bit of a debate here this morning over Eugene Keating's goal chance at the weekend. My opinion is that it should have been a square ball anyway because he was in the square when Martin Dunne handpassed him the ball. My work colleague thinks the square ball rule doesn't apply at all anymore except from free kicks.

I've tried Googling but can't get it.

I don't have the rules but my understanding is

From open play
    The player cannot be in the square before the ball is played

From a free
    They cannot be in the square before the ball arrives in the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Actually it should be here in the motions to the 2012 congress where it was approved

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/motions/GAA_Motions_Congress_2012.pdf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Startling lack of understanding of it, even after more than a year of it being in place. It's not surprising given that the media themselves seem to be perpetuating the myth of there being no square ball from open play. I remember a Thomas O'Connor point against us last season which was clearly a square ball with the new rules, yet RTE were saying he was well entitled to be in the square with the new rule.
    Here's the best link I could find:
    swq-580x109.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Actually it should be here in the motions to the 2012 congress where it was approved

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/motions/GAA_Motions_Congress_2012.pdf

Could anyone copy and paste the relevant text from that? I've no access here in work for some reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

(31) Amend Rule 4.9, Technical Fouls, Playing Rules of
    Football, O.G. Part 2 as follows:
    “For an attacking player to enter opponent’s small
    rectangle;
    (a) During Play (excluding Set Play), before the final play
    of the ball into the small rectangle
    (b) In Set Play, before the ball enters the small rectangle.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It looked to me very much like Keating was in the square before Dunne played the ball in that incident, which certainly would have been a square ball.

As the lads have said, the rule is very simple - open play, you must wait till the ball is kicked/punched before you can enter the square; frees, you must wait till the ball is in the square before you can enter the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

keane2097 wrote: »
    It looked to me very much like Keating was in the square before Dunne played the ball in that incident, which certainly would have been a square ball.

As the lads have said, the rule is very simple - open play, you must wait till the ball is kicked/punched before you can enter the square; frees, you must wait till the ball is in the square before you can enter the square.

Keating was in the square. My friend didn't disagree on that. He just thought if Keating had scored it would have been a goal because he thought square ball was gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭platypus

Lemlin wrote: »
    Keating was in the square. My friend didn't disagree on that. He just thought if Keating had scored it would have been a goal because he thought square ball was gone now.

A lot of refs seem to think this as well, maybe more so those reffing at lower levels of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I was under the impression that the square ball rule was gone as well (for general play; not set pieces) but was informed by a thoroughly informed (and slightly belligerent) KK fan at the Wd- KK game (following Jake Dillon's goal) that it as a rule change was only experimental and had been abandoned, and that we were back to the old rule...was he right?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭platypus

Afaik square ball rule was never changed in hurling, it's still the old rule, the player can't be in the square before the ball

• Advertisement
Advertisement