Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump turning on and off

Options
  • 31-07-2013 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi,

The last few weeks the water pump in our hot press keeps going on every few minutes even though no taps etc are open.

It has progressively got worse to the point where it goes off every 5-10 minutes for about 5 seconds at a time.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what is causing it?

I have looked at some similar threads and have narrowed down the problem somewhat but this stuff is still over my head.

The pump is a Grundfos STN1.5b (negative head). It seems the larger air tank is losing pressure and the pump is turning on to recharge. I saw this happening as I had connected a foot pump to it.

In the picture I have attached, I have circled a valve that when turned off, the problem stops. I think this is the cold outlet valve but I am not sure.

If turning this off stops the problem does anyone know what the underlying cause would be?

I also noticed that there is a constant dripping sound coming from the water tank even after the tank has been refilled. It might have been this way before the problem started but I am not sure.

My thinking is that there is a leak somewhere in the system. THe problem only started with the arrival of the hot weather so I think the pipes expanding etc in the heat caused a seal to open.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

check to see if any of the toilets have water dripping into the bowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

Hi rightjob

When it first started, this was my thought. I went around and wiped all the toilets with some toilet paper but they all seemed bone dry. Maybe I should test again

I cant see any taps etc dripping but again maybe I should take a closer look

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

rightjob! wrote: »
    check to see if any of the toilets have water dripping into the bowl?

I have this issue too with the pump,
    Mine is caused by the the toilet dripping ever so slightly. So it might be worth checking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Check the filling valve inside the cisterns very carefully, if there is an isolation valve on the cistern turn it off for a while to see if the problem stops.
    Its a very common problem. By turning off the valve that you did it indicates a leak somewhere, you just have to find it now.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Check the filling valve inside the cisterns very carefully, if there is an isolation valve on the cistern turn it off for a while to see if the problem stops.
    Its a very common problem. By turning off the valve that you did it indicates a leak somewhere, you just have to find it now.

When you say cisterns do you mean the toilet cisterns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Deanicus wrote: »
    When you say cisterns do you mean the toilet cisterns?

Yes, the toilet cisterns, the filling valves can drip slightly and cause the pumps to activate.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Yes, the toilet cisterns, the filling valves can drip slightly and cause the pumps to activate.

Cheers

Yeah I'll give them another look

Problem is they are all inbuilt so only have a small window to look through!

Its perfect storm for this kind of thing :)

Advertisement