Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Grant !! for 2 years Advise Needed

Options
  • 31-07-2013 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

i have never properly looked into the student grant levels but as times are gettin harder i wondered should i be entitled to more. At the moment i am on a Standard rate-100% maintenance- Adjacent Rate - €1,215. I have been on this for the last 2 years but now i believe all along i should of been on the Non-adjacent Rate of €3,025. This is with the North Tipp VEC. the difference between non adjacent and adjacent is -QUOTE " The adjacent rate is payable if the student’s normal residence is determined by the awarding authority to be 45km or less from the approved institution they are attending. The non-adjacent rate is payable in all other cases." According to Google maps i live either 55km from the college or 48.5km depending on which route you take .. Should i put this to my VEC and also would i be compensated for the last 2 years if i am correct ??

i have also found this from the meath county council distance checker "It should be noted that the measurement to determine the applicable rate of distance will be based on the shortest, most direct route (road network) from the candidate’s/parent’s permanent home address to the higher education institution."
    So they should not be able to tell me it is from the centre of one city to another or as the crow flies as i am not a crow and niether can i fly !
    Would i be correct in appealing my grant for the coming year with this information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As far as I am aware it is as the crow flies. I'm not sure there is anything you can do about it now as you are only given a certain amount of time to either accept or appeal the decision. Would you not have applied to SUSI last year opposed to North Tipp Co Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah I think you should appeal it. You have nothing to lose by appealing it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 student1992

no my grant was renewed last year by the VEC it wasn't through SUSI as i started attending college before SUSI was implemented. Im undecided on what to do !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

no my grant was renewed last year by the VEC it wasn't through SUSI as i started attending college before SUSI was implemented. Im undecided on what to do !

You have nothing to lose by appealing it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement