Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming test for job

Options
  • 30-07-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys,
    I have a programming test for a job, very early stage of process, and was wondering what to expect or what have others experienced. The position is at graduate level but only details I could get from company regarding test was ' if you have a firm understanding of programming you will be fine' .
    Any feedback appreciated. Test this week. Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

The book Cracking the Coding Interview has a lot of interview prep questions and general advice. It's a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Make sure you know the basics: fizz buzz, factorial, Fibonacci and sorting. Those are what I have come across from my own experience and trust me it's the little things that trips people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What RealistSpy said, and make sure you can code using a potatoe.

And by potatoe, I mean notepad. Although whatever you code with will probably tell you if you forget a pipe or a bracket, notepad won't, and thus you may forget something simple.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Indeed, I was in the final 2 applicants before and I didnt bother with some of the brackets when writing on a piece of paper with little room, and that was held against me, lol...
    Most people dont care however, they're not looking for perfect code on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Indeed, I was in the final 2 applicants before and I didnt bother with some of the brackets when writing on a piece of paper with little room, and that was held against me, lol...
    Most people dont care however, they're not looking for perfect code on paper.

Personally I wouldn't hold it against someone, I equate it to asking a carpenter to use a rock rather than a hammer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement