Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problematic neighbours

Options
  • 30-07-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, long-time lurker here.
    I have a problem which I imagine might be quite common, apologies if it has been dealt with here before, my cursory search of this forum didn't yield much advice. Perhaps if you know somewhere it has been covered you could point me there.

So: I live in an apartment block in which there is antisocial behaviour occurring on a regular basis. It has escalated recently to the point where there was a fire in the building. There have been other troubling situations. Myself and my partner are now starting to worry about our safety and security.
    I believe that the antisocial behaviour is traceable to one apartment which is rented on behalf of the tenants by the Corporation. I have witnessed several events myself from these neighbours, and made representation to our landlord, management company and the Gardai, but I have no evidence linking them to this latest series of events. I do however feel that these events were precipitated by these neighbours as they are the only residents of the block who have exhibited any antisocial leanings since we moved in.
    Our management company have been very good on picking up the more mundane management issues, but they are starting to back away from this situation, and I feel like we (my partner and I) are now on our own. It is complicated by the fact that the tenants are the Corporation, as they require (so the management company say) concrete proof of transgressions. Nothing wrong with that of course. But I have none linking this group to anything which would be serious enough to evict them.
    I have all sorts of questions from here, but they boil down to the following:
    1. Is there an effective procedure for dealing with such a situation?
    2. Who is responsible for dealing with such a situation?
    3. What are my responsibilities?
    4. Help!

Yours etc.,
    Ford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

like they said you cant just assume somebody is causing these transgressions. If you want something done then you need proof.

No proof and no action can or will be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

You're lucky that you're a tenant and not a owner-occupier. Best option is probably to find a new place to live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    You're lucky that you're a tenant and not a owner-occupier. Best option is probably to find a new place to live.

Unfortunately this is the best advice. You may be able to get evidence of antisocial behaviour but this will be a long drawn out process before you can secure eviction of the other tenants and there is no certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Tell your landlord your moving out because of the antisocial behaviour.
    If he gets rid of them for you great, if he doesn't, leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You left out what they have actually been doing, other than it being anti social.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Ford Sierra

Thanks for all of the comments...it's sobering to read them! I knew that our situation is a bit of a cleft stick...obtaining proof of misconduct in this situation is practically speaking almost impossible. I was mostly wondering if someone else here had been in this situation and whether there is a possible resolution worth examining beyond the obvious ones that I am currently considering. With regard to the behaviour itself, perhaps I'm being silly about this, but I'd prefer to give as few identifying details as possible. I think the first post catches the substance of what I am concerned with. I'll just add that the other situations I'm alluding to, while worrying/annoying, are not sufficient to make us pack our bags just yet. My reason for posting the thread is the fire etc, and the potential danger that something similar or worse may happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are there signs up saying that there is CCTV in the complex? If so, check if you can plant a few hidden cameras nearby sections where you think anti-social behaviour has happened, and hand said footage over to the police.

No CCTV signs...and no team work. I think the first thing to do is organise some kind of resident's group...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No CCTV signs...
    Ask management for CCTV to be installed, and the presence of this alone may deter anti-social behaviour (or at least ID those doing it).

Also look at those who point the finger at the apartment rented on behalf of the tenants by the Corporation...

Make a complaint to the council, DCC? start with the local area office, they will act on receipt of a complaint.

• Advertisement

Thanks again...
    While I have suspicions and ideas about the cause of recent events, the main thing for me is not the solving of that crime, it is to try to prevent anything dangerous from happening again. So I have suggested that the management company installs cameras. I'm looking forward to their response! Cameras might be a great deterrent as well as possibly catch some idiot in the act.
    The direct complaint to DCC is a good idea. The management company has made one or two representations on our behalf. But I will make my own, in the eventuality that I actually have something definite and provable to complain about...

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

in the eventuality that I actually have something definite and provable to complain about...

Ugh.

No harm in letting them know anyway: if there are other problems with the tenancy (eg rent not being paid), then it would help the council to know that there are other problems in the complex, even if it's not formal knowledge that they can act on.

Reemember -as you say yourself - you don't have proof that it was actually the council tenants behind the latest issue. Yes it could have been. Or or could have been some outsider who was attracted to the complex by the council tenants. Or someone totally different who none of your would suspect. Stranger things have happened.

Advertisement