Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dev Salary After One Year

Options
  • 30-07-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I've see a few threads here with graduates looking for information about what salary to expect. I've also seen a few for two years experience.

Out of interest, just wondering what you guys think would be an acceptable salary for a software dev with 1 years experience, in Dublin. Mainly Java EE, Spring, Hibernate, jQuery. That type of thing.

My guess would be around the 32k mark? Is that too low?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

A dev salary after one year will be much the same as a graduate salary if you're not moving jobs. In Dublin I'd expect the market to be offering €30k to €34k although recruiters will definitely try sell you that < €30k is still great since you'll be getting "experience". As if any job you'd be taking doesn't give experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm only in a developer role for the last 18 months and I'm in and around the mid 40's. I've been with the company for nearly 4 years though and was doing application support before I got into development. I think the industry you are in will dictate your wage too. From what I've been told generally a developer with a successful financial company will get paid more than one for a pure software company?

To answer your question I reckon around 35k is what I would expect for someone with 1 years Java EE experience?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Also interested to know since I am 10 months at my company! I do mostly python. Above my starting salary I've gotten a 40% bonus but wage has marginally gone up, a few percent. I'd be wondering if it changes much at all? Also everybody's wage seems to be assessed in january, not after x year. So it'll be more like a year and a third when they look at me.
    I'm only in a developer role for the last 18 months and I'm in and around the mid 40's. I've been with the company for nearly 4 years though and was doing application support before I got into development. I think the industry you are in will dictate your wage too. From what I've been told generally a developer with a successful financial company will get paid more than one for a pure software company?

To answer your question I reckon around 35k is what I would expect for someone with 1 years Java EE experience?

That's kind of a different situation, you've been with them 4 years, I wouldn't expect a grand with one year to be on 45k?

That's kind of a different situation, you've been with them 4 years, I wouldn't expect a grand with one year to be on 45k?

I wasn't implying that is what a person with 1 year's experience should get, just using my situation to give an example of how I got to that figure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi, I know you weren't saying that, I was wondering if others had the same experience where they were 18 months in and did have that figure. If it was me I wouldn't have expected my company to pay so much as I would effectively be a grad developer. But maybe if you do tings related such as application support that i taken into account, but I wonder would it just be taken into account in the same company or also another one. Say you moved now, what do you think you would get etc

• Advertisement

Hi, I know you weren't saying that, I was wondering if others had the same experience where they were 18 months in and did have that figure. If it was me I wouldn't have expected my company to pay so much as I would effectively be a grad developer. But maybe if you do tings related such as application support that i taken into account, but I wonder would it just be taken into account in the same company or also another one. Say you moved now, what do you think you would get etc

I'm actually job hunting at the moment and after doing a few interviews I'm coming to realise that I'm probably not going to get what I'm on now unless I get lucky or pull of an amazing interview? One interview I did though had no problem with the figure of around 45k. Didn't get offered a role for other reasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭meor

Thanks for the feedback guys, seems like I wasn't a million miles away with 32k. Maybe a wee bit more.

Al, I'd have no issue with asking for 45k with 18 months experience either, best of luck to you with the hunt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd look for salary guides to give you a rough estimate of what you could expect and it's exactly that, an estimate.

Itzy wrote: »
    I'd look for salary guides to give you a rough estimate of what you could expect and it's exactly that, an estimate.

No no, you've misunderstood, I want an EXACT figure!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I assure you, it's very hard to provide an exact figure as your salary is completely dependant on what an employer is willing to offer you. A Salary guide is a Country wide average. As a graduate, you can expect €30k, but that's liable to go up or down dependant on the employer and what they're willing to offer.

• Advertisement

I was joking buddy :)

Ah no bother.

meor wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys, seems like I wasn't a million miles away with 32k. Maybe a wee bit more.

Al, I'd have no issue with asking for 45k with 18 months experience either, best of luck to you with the hunt.

Well that probably depends on what you started on, 23k, 25k, 28k, 34k? So kinda hard to answer that. I imagine the answer is it 'goes up a bit'. Did it get any increase or bonus in the first year already?

I actually meant in terms of jobs looking for devs with one year experience, should have made that clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I have never seen a job looking for one year experience. Minimum would be two. One year = graduate.

Quick search on linkedin brought this up, albeit in Cork:

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=6322010&goback=%2Enmp_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1&trk=hp-feed-jymbii-jobTitle

30k - 35k incase anyone searches and the link is dead. 12 months experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Ok now I have seen one! It's a "junior" position but they look for experience, bunch of chancers.

It looks bad to quit your first job so soon, so there aren't too many people on the supply or demand side for 12 months experience.

Just stick it out until you have 2-3 years experience, then you can apply for proper jobs. Even dodgy developers like myself stayed the course in their first role :)

Ah yeah I agree, 2 years is the plan, was just wondering because like yourself I've only really seen grads and 2 year jobs.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Also interested to know since I am 10 months at my company! I do mostly python. Above my starting salary I've gotten a 40% bonus but wage has marginally gone up, a few percent. I'd be wondering if it changes much at all? Also everybody's wage seems to be assessed in january, not after x year. So it'll be more like a year and a third when they look at me.

40% bonus!!! Tell me more!!! What industry?

I imagine it matters more on the company, it's not a set thing or anything (i was expecting 10% and last year nobody got a bonus etc). Defence industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Dev Salary After One Year

Anecdotally I'd say after a year you should be on around 10% more than your grad salary.

Advertisement