Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO points including maths

Options
  • 30-07-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I sat my Leaving Cert in 2010 and subsequently the new 25 points for higher level maths came into effect. At the time I achieved 570 points and am now looking for a transfer and so will have to reapply to the CAO. I sat higher level maths so does anyone know whether I will get the extra 25 points for sitting maths, ie giving me 595 points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

I don't think that's how it works.

Keep in mind there were bonus points during 2010 for higher level maths too, they just worked differently (the previous scaling implementation gave a higher bonus for those achieving a B1 or higher compared to the current system).

Just an aside: The old system was recognised by selective universities. The new one is recognised by all of them. The new system appears to provide a greater incentive to choose higher level maths over ordinary level, whereas the old system scaled based on performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Micky C

Came across these links, turns out it applies until 2016 no matter when you did your LC, as long as you apply before 2016.

http://www.iua.ie/students-graduates/admissions/bonus-points-for-maths/

http://portalvhdszk590m4v4m89d.blob.core.windows.net/attachments/-01_2012_maths_bonus_points.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Micky C

That was for anyone interested or who has the same question

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Interesting that it would be retrospective. That actually would reduce some people's points from the old system if they were reapplying.
    For comparison purposes, it doesn't change what you received in a particular year. It's simply for CAO purposes during the 4 year pilot period.

What are you trying to apply for that a difference from 570 to 595 would make a difference?

Advertisement