Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressing room stories

Options
  • 30-07-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Well lads I was thinking there should be a thread for people to put up old stories they've heard about what goes on at halftime :D Any fun or interesting stories ye have throw em up there sure :) Anyone have any idea what Cody does be like? :P

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

.skid wrote: »
    Well lads I was thinking there should be a thread for people to put up old stories they've heard about what goes on at halftime :D Any fun or interesting stories ye have throw em up there sure :) Anyone have any idea what Cody does be like? :P

Seriously?

Ok, I heard that Cody eats the players livers with a nice Cianti. From a reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭.skid

yop wrote: »
    Seriously?

Ok, I heard that Cody eats the players livers with a nice Cianti. From a reliable source.

hahahahahaha oh good one, instead of saying something interesting or being helpful in anyway you decided to rip the piss out of me. Go back to moderating interior design and decorating there g'man.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

hahahahahaha oh good one, instead of saying something interesting or being helpful in anyway you decided to rip the piss out of me. Go back to moderating interior design and decorating there g'man.

You forgot I'm on the Mayo forum too ;)

Helpful... I thought you said it was a "fun" thread.

You forgot I'm on the Mayo forum too ;)

Helpful... I thought you said it was a "fun" thread.

I chose to ignore the Mayo part :P Ya,that's meant to say funny stories. It's a typo ok ;)

I chose to ignore the Mayo part :P Ya,that's meant to say funny stories. It's a typo ok ;)

Do they not teach spelling in the Junior Cert ;)

Are you not going to contribute your own stories to the thread then?

• Advertisement

Do they not teach spelling in the Junior Cert ;)

Are you not going to contribute your own stories to the thread then?

Yes i'm sure they touched on it alright :) Well ok the time Davy Fitz was managing Waterford they were playing Limerick in Semple Stadium,I don't know who won but somehow Davy managed to break 2 tables in the dressing room at half time. And there is the video someone took of him at another match too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXPfqJv2V3o Inspirational ;)

Yes i'm sure they touched on it alright :) Well ok the time Davy Fitz was managing Waterford they were playing Limerick in Semple Stadium,I don't know who won but somehow Davy managed to break 2 tables in the dressing room at half time. And there is the video someone took of him at another match too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXPfqJv2V3o Inspirational ;)

Ah sure thats standard Junior football manager behavior on a weekly basis. Davey Fitz, were they belonging to a dolls house? They man himself is hardly bigger than the leg of a normal table :D

Ah sure thats standard Junior football manager behavior on a weekly basis. Davey Fitz, were they belonging to a dolls house? They man himself is hardly bigger than the leg of a normal table :D

Junior where I come from is taken a lot less serious than it must be in your place :P I suppose we'll never know :confused: But for a man as wide as he is tall and with a voice higher than most 8 year old girls to do that is a little bit impressive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I heard before the Fermanagh game, where the Cavan lads were expecting a good bit of goading, intimidation and sly digs from the opposition, that the Cavan panel lined up in rows of two.

Each duo had to face each other. One player had to stand with his hands by his side and not react while the other player slapped him in the face for a minute. Then vice versa.

It was to teach players not to react and get sent off like Damien Reilly did in the league game earlier in the season.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I heard before the Fermanagh game, where the Cavan lads were expecting a good bit of goading, intimidation and sly digs from the opposition, that the Cavan panel lined up in rows of two.

Each duo had to face each other. One player had to stand with his hands by his side and not react while the other player slapped him in the face for a minute. Then vice versa.

It was to teach players not to react and get sent off like Damien Reilly did in the league game earlier in the season.

lol. class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Interesting tactic. But it could backfire. As it could build up some serious aggression in the players that they release out on the pitch......I guess they got to slap them back so maybe that was the outlet!

Interesting tactic. But it could backfire. As it could build up some serious aggression in the players that they release out on the pitch......I guess they got to slap them back so maybe that was the outlet!

I think it was Mickey Joe Hart did something similar with his teams before games. He used to bring in boxing bags and put the other teams jersey on it and let his players tear into it :P another manager, can't remember the name, went for the opposite approach and had the players meditate before going out to calm them and stop silly frees early on!

I think it was Mickey Joe Hart did something similar with his teams before games. He used to bring in boxing bags and put the other teams jersey on it and let his players tear into it :P another manager, can't remember the name, went for the opposite approach and had the players meditate before going out to calm them and stop silly frees early on!

I'd some how doubt he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

just lock this thread and be done with it!!

Although, i have to say, i do get a giggle whenever i check up on it..........

The auld Famed Gaa manager, micky Joe harte........................

now everybody, "We've got the World tonight"..................

jossnjuice wrote: »
    just lock this thread and be done with it!!

Although, i have to say, i do get a giggle whenever i check up on it..........

The auld Famed Gaa manager, micky Joe harte........................

now everybody, "We've got the World tonight"..................

I have an image of him singing that and the leprachaun Davy Fitz smashing tables as the players are screaming to let them out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the story at the end has Chris O'Dowds' response to a motivational team talk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

At an U-16 game last year at home, when we were playing Achill, after the game the little runts had the cheek to wipe the dirt off themselves onto the pearl white dressing room walls spelling out their names and profanities. Needless to say, the management were fuming and went off on a huge rant to their managers who replied "boys will be boys" at which point our manager was foaming at the mouth.

Lets just say, when we played them later on in the year, there was more than dirt on the walls, aswell as 2 lovely piles of Fr. Ted's Caviar on the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

For years Donal Òg was said to be known for dropping the soap in the showers in the dressing room after a game. Never heard why he did it or what purpose it served until...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

audman wrote: »
    For years Donal Òg was said to be known for dropping the soap in the showers in the dressing room after a game. Never heard why he did it or what purpose it served until...

Yawn, arent you the funny homophobe

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

slegs wrote: »
    Yawn, arent you the funny homophobe

Arah will ya stop. It's only a bit of CRACK I meant nothing by it, relax :) No need to take it to heart or downthemiddle. My apologies if I offended. I am not a homophobe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the story at the end has Chris O'Dowds' response to a motivational team talk

The problem with Shane Curran in that video is that he tries to walk it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

audman wrote: »
    Arah will ya stop. It's only a bit of CRACK I meant nothing by it, relax :) No need to take it to heart or downthemiddle. My apologies if I offended. I am not a homophobe :)

That said, you still left such an immature post up and did not delete it, which you could have.

I gave you a warning, next time its a ban.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

In the 2001 All Ireland Hurling semi final replay Wexford got 2 men sent off in their match against Tipperary in the first half.

Mitch Jordan was one of those who had been sent off just before half time but when he got back to the dressing room Tony Dempsey the manager focused on him for a couple of minutes telling him he needed to get in front of his man, he kept repeating it not giving the player a chance to respond telling him he needed to get in front of his man, he needed to get in front of his man and finally relented by asking him "can you that for me Mitch?" to which Mitch replied not really Tony, i was sent off just before half time.

Whatever chance Wexford had with 14 against 13 was gone anyway due to the convulsions of laughter in the Wexford dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Heard this but how true it is.....!
    Tipperary were playing Cork in a Munster Final and were getting well beaten at half-time. Confidence and morale was very low at ht as Cork completely out hurled them in all areas of the field and had built up a considerable lead by ht.
    Babs tore strips off the players before building them back up just before sending them out for the second half battle. He turned to afew of his team leaders, prompting them to respond positively in front of all the players:
    "Can we win Bobby?". "F**king right we can", replied the great warrior Bobby Ryan. "Are we up for a battle Nicky?". "Sure we are", responded Nicky English. Babs asked afew similar questions to other stalwarts Pat Fox, Noel Sheehy and Cormac Bonner. Then finally, he turned to the character of the group, Joe Hayes and roared at him, "Hayes, WILL we f**king win it?". Now Hayes would be well known for his droll personality and with a bit of a stammer, he sheepishly retorted," ah, ah, ah, to be honest Babs, 'tis not looking too good!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

i asked a kilkenny player a while back that question
    and he said he doesnt say much, its the players that do all the bollockin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A couple of ones that I remember would be a manager giving it loads, really shouting and giving it gusto, at the finish he went "COME ON LADS AND FOLLOW ME", the numpty burst the door open and a few players followed him whooping and hollering, only thing was it was the wrong door and they had to come out of the showers and open the other door.

Another 1 was a guy who was giving it loads again and broke a hurley off the bench, he saw it got a good reaction and picked up another 1 and went "now lads, don't save the timber, we have plenty of it on the sideline for you" and he broke another 1, when he picked up the third 1 of the selectors took it off him saying "ah will you stop, we only have 5 spares".

Had a goalie storm off in the middle of a match cause 1 of the players had shouted "FFS Noel will you puck the ball out to us at some stage", we all thought it was a bit strange but we brought on a sub and the game went on, when we went in after the game there Noel was sheepish waiting for his lift home from the manager, he got some roasting.

Played with a guy who swore by poitin and evergreen (can't remember the name of it), used to have a little bottle of both and rub it into his knees and then drink whatever was left of the poitin, this was at under 16 :D

Clareman wrote: »

Another 1 was a guy who was giving it loads again and broke a hurley off the bench, he saw it got a good reaction and picked up another 1 and went "now lads, don't save the timber, we have plenty of it on the sideline for you" and he broke another 1, when he picked up the third 1 of the selectors took it off him saying "ah will you stop, we only have 5 spares".

Thats my favourite one!

Played with a guy who swore by poitin and evergreen (can't remember the name of it), used to have a little bottle of both and rub it into his knees and then drink whatever was left of the poitin, this was at under 16 :D

And were his performances any good???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

And were his performances any good???

The lad was gifted, probably 1 of the best hurlers I've ever played with, deadly accurate from any free from within 65 meters, but he was lost to the game at minor over a bag of chips in Athenry.

He was playing minor for Clare and they had a challenge against Galway, after the match a couple of the lads went of for a bag of chips and the manager wasn't happy, he tore into the chipper and told the lads if they weren't on the bus immediately they were going without them, the other 3 lads turned to go and Kevin goes "I've paid for them and they'll be ready in a second, hold on", the manager made the bus leave without him and stranded a 17 year old in Athenry without a lift home around 9 o'clock on a Tuesday evening, he never played again after that.

• Advertisement

The lad was gifted, probably 1 of the best hurlers I've ever played with, deadly accurate from any free from within 65 meters, but he was lost to the game at minor over a bag of chips in Athenry.

He was playing minor for Clare and they had a challenge against Galway, after the match a couple of the lads went of for a bag of chips and the manager wasn't happy, he tore into the chipper and told the lads if they weren't on the bus immediately they were going without them, the other 3 lads turned to go and Kevin goes "I've paid for them and they'll be ready in a second, hold on", the manager made the bus leave without him and stranded a 17 year old in Athenry without a lift home around 9 o'clock on a Tuesday evening, he never played again after that.

That is a funny, but sad story.

Advertisement