Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grow grass on top of patio slabs?

Options
  • 30-07-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My back garden is approx 20m X 22m and about half of it is taken up with really old patio slabs.

I'm thinking about covering the patio slabs with topsoil and then setting grass seed.

Is this feasable? And if so, what depth of topsoil should I use on top of the slabs?

Any helpful advice will be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Just lift the slabs, put them up on adverts.ie for free and watch them fly. Then prepare the ground underneath for your new lawn.

In fact, advertise them first and make part of the bargain that the collector has to lift them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But to answer your question, no it will not work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have 200 square metres taken up with patio slabs - you'd want at least 10cm of soil on top of that, so that's 20 cubic metres of soil to cover them. this alone would cost you hundreds of euro.

looksee wrote: »
    But to answer your question, no it will not work.

That's what I meant to imply :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 decoydonkey

Thanks for the feedback folks. I think it will be best to get rid of the slabs and work from there. The soil underneath them should be good I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Deffo go with free on Adverts.ie as long as the taker has to remove, will save your back and you'll be rid of fast.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i might be interested in the slabs. can you take a pic of them after you remove then :)

I live in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. I'll send on a photo when I get home this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Thanks for the feedback folks. I think it will be best to get rid of the slabs and work from there. The soil underneath them should be good I reckon

Depends whether they were layed on a good thick layer of hardcore/ballast or not, if so you will be filling a skip too!

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Depends whether they were layed on a good thick layer of hardcore/ballast or not, if so you will be filling a skip too!

No, they were just laid on top of the soil

No, they were just laid on top of the soil

They must have been very lucky then because most slabs if put on care earth will be very uneven to the point of dangerous very quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck with it.

I have just realised ..,..... Two hundred square metres of paving.......that is enormous! That would be eight grands worth of Indian sandstone at least. Although I assume it is only concrete slabs you have.

They are both uneven and dangerous :(

They are both uneven and dangerous :(

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

did you get rid of the slabs?

did you get rid of the slabs?

Ya they're gone thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Coming in late on this one, but it is possible to install a grass lawn on top of an existing paved area. It isn't ideal but once adequate provision has been made for drainage and depth of soil, there is no reason why it would not work.

Advertisement